Surviving Minnesota!

It's really coming down tonight. Hard showers. A few breaks on and off today. Not a whole lot of wind for us.

Studying my cpr/aed recert tonight. I do that tomorrow at 10:00am. Need the ceus, too.

DH took off early this AM for fly-in Canadian fishing. I'm a single parent again until Sunday.

The insurance for teen drivers is a killer. We'll be having them help with those bills actually. One car to share the first high dollar year. DS wants a truck bad. He'll need to wait. I'm not going to be buying a gas guzzler and insurance to boot. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

The thunder is really rolling out there.

The chicks began homing/ roosting in their brooder box after a day of being outside. No more chasing them down and carrying to the garage. They do it themselves.

They are actually old enough for the coop. But after the BOP loss of my small birds last year... I'm going to get them bigger before I take them down to the coop.

It's really coming down tonight. Hard showers. A few breaks on and off today. Not a whole lot of wind for us.

Studying my cpr/aed recert tonight. I do that tomorrow at 10:00am. Need the ceus, too.

DH took off early this AM for fly-in Canadian fishing. I'm a single parent again until Sunday.

The insurance for teen drivers is a killer. We'll be having them help with those bills actually. One car to share the first high dollar year. DS wants a truck bad. He'll need to wait. I'm not going to be buying a gas guzzler and insurance to boot. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

The thunder is really rolling out there.

The chicks began homing/ roosting in their brooder box after a day of being outside. No more chasing them down and carrying to the garage. They do it themselves.

They are actually old enough for the coop. But after the BOP loss of my small birds last year... I'm going to get them bigger before I take them down to the coop.
Glad you did not get any hail.
On the topic of pickups, when we sold my moms Volkswagen which averaged about 45 mpg she wanted an SUV. Around the same time we were going to sell the Volkswagen she got a different job and would only have to work from home excpet like the 3rd week of every month where she has to be in Fargo for 2 days.
But my dad said no to the SUV because his 91 pickup which was a gas guzzler and was starting to need lots of matience work, and without that pickup we couldn't pull the stock trailer or camper. So They got an 04 Chevy duramax diesel, it averages about 24mpg, and last time we took cows in it averaged about 16mpg.

Here are some pictures of the hatching eggs from Ralphie and the chick from the olive egg Holms gave me.

IMG_0202.PNG

Dom pullet
IMG_0203.PNG

"Mini" the hopefully Olive Egger. Look at those cheek puffs!

IMG_0204.PNG

Bad lighting but this is the smaller Dom cockerel.

IMG_0209.PNG

A group of them together with a couple younger cockerels from another hatch.

Lots of branches down in the yard. Just small stuff though and the kids are out with the wheelbarrow picking them up so the lawn can be mowed tomorrow. The ground is just too wet today. Unlike Ralphie we have heavy black soil that holds moisture well. We did loose power yesterday for a few hours. This time I did not freak out about the incubator not going during those times because I knew it would be just fine. I did candle all the eggs yesterday my Black Australorp Roo did not do his job. Not a single egg developed even a little bit, they were all clear. He's going out the door. I have a bunch of Cuckoo Marans and Rhode Island Reds growing just fine. Some of the CM could be mixed with the RIR though. One morning I found a CM hen in with the RIR pair. We will see what happens on upon hatching. In a couple more days I will have to move a couple of broody hens into my caged off area and put the hatching eggs under them so I don't have to worry about them hatching while we are gone. I am sad I wont be here when they hatch though!

Of the turkey eggs 6 developed and 2 were clear.

Back
Top Bottom