Surviving Minnesota!

Explain blackhead to me, please.

It is Histomoniasis or in a nutshell what Ralphie has linked you to.
My spot has some low lying areas which are damp often and the chickens love scratching for earth worms. Unbeknownst to me at the time is they carry the gut parasitic worms or eggs, which then carry the protozoan. I'm sure that's how a lead hen of mine got it. In line first for rooster gifting.

I found her standing in a nest box 'sleepy' during the middle of the day. Her fluff wet (mucous) watched her poop a bright sulfur colored mucous poop. Jumped on line and started researching. Came across a university of Mississippi article on blackhead. It also mentioned a caseous (cheese like) poop coming from the cecum which would be coagulated pus. Sure enough the next day under Sylvia was a cheese curd that you would not want to batter up and fry.

:D :sick

Diagnosis confirmed. I called the vet he wanted to see her. I wouldn't plus take a half day from work to drive. ( which we all know living rural that's a big expense) but lucked out and found info on Flagyl also disguised as fishzole. Then broad spectrum worming. Valbazen.
It took a lot out of her. She had begun to molt which is why I think she got it also. Immune system dropped. It was lying in wait.
Blackhead attacks the liver. So you would see a scarred up liver on her when butchered. It is deadly in turkeys so I cannot keep those big birds. When the birds get sick with this they are also getting secondary ailments which can create respiratory issues, cyanotic heads- and so the old folks called it blackhead.

Last edited:
Good Luck, Siggie!!

BC..

I have been look at vehicles to help you out with the kiddos wanting them..I think they should both have there own..

This is what I found for your son.
vehicle_011.png

I was able to get the price down to $82,350 for you!!

I hate to say it but I could not find that deal for your daughter, but daughters are special and deserve more and better...

I found this:

iris.jpg
And here is the bargain basement pricing..

ase price:
$133,000
Price for Equipment:
$20,850
Delivery, Handling and Processing Fee
$1,050
Total Price:*
$154,900

What a deal,,,You can thank me later, I am sure insurance will be a breeze for you...

:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau

Last edited:
Got lots done so far, auger and bucket off the John Deere, getting the stack maker tire changed. And hung up a bunch of milk jugs
My dad's always telling me to watch out for the grapple forks on the tractor... I was rolling a tire in the bucket and got careless.. wish I had a picture before l wiped some off. And to bad my hairs red or I would've gotten a picture of all the blood up there but you can't see it..

Screenshot_20170615-135622.png

Ouch, ILL - hope you're doing alright!

Bogtown Chick - are you saying that chickens ranging in damp areas would be more susceptible to this disease?

We move to our mini-farm next month. The existing brick "chicken house" is at the bottom of our back hill. We should have no problem keeping the house itself dry, but the land in front of it is almost level with the stream bank further out. We won't know how wet it is until we get some of the overgrown grass out of there, though we could walk on it no problem. I believe the last people to have chickens there kept them ranging in a fenced in treed area on the hillside. I know their coop area needs to be dry, but does their ranging area need to also be very dry?

Ouch Layers. You're a tough cookie.

Good Luck, Siggie!!

BC..

I have been look at vehicles to help you out with the kiddos wanting them..I think they should both have there own..

This is what I found for your son.
View attachment 1043377

I was able to get the price down to $82,350 for you!!

I hate to say it but I could not find that deal for your daughter, but daughters are special and deserve more and better...

I found this:

View attachment 1043398 And here is the bargain basement pricing..

ase price:
$133,000
Price for Equipment:
$20,850
Delivery, Handling and Processing Fee
$1,050
Total Price:*
$154,900

What a deal,,,You can thank me later, I am sure insurance will be a breeze for you...

:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau

:hmm :rolleyes::yuckyuck:lau

Ok. Ralphie. Thank you for the research! I spent months trying to find the right USED car for me. Now I don't have to research for the kids. It's all done. But goodluck getting DS in that Ford. Layers probably pinned it with a chevy Duramax. Also the financiers need a meeting of the mindless for any considerations with these choices. :thI think we'll be sending them down to the banana belt to earn their way to these vehicles. What's the going wage for building grow out pens and feeding toads. Uncle Ralphie might have some cash hidden in the mattress?

These two vehicles. Can we live in them? As they are valued together more than our house? Lol.

The twins are going to be so excited!

Ouch, ILL - hope you're doing alright!

Bogtown Chick - are you saying that chickens ranging in damp areas would be more susceptible to this disease?

We move to our mini-farm next month. The existing brick "chicken house" is at the bottom of our back hill. We should have no problem keeping the house itself dry, but the land in front of it is almost level with the stream bank further out. We won't know how wet it is until we get some of the overgrown grass out of there, though we could walk on it no problem. I believe the last people to have chickens there kept them ranging in a fenced in treed area on the hillside. I know their coop area needs to be dry, but does their ranging area need to also be very dry?
I would say there is potential for this. I think this particular hen was gluttonous for earthworms and being high gen was always right next to the rooster. Also think that chickens for the most part can fight this off. Birds that are young or molting, under developed or slighted immune systems may show active disease symptoms. Because of this incident I know my birds get worms. And I worm at least once a year to take a load of the intermediate hosts out of the picture. I have not had another incident since that first time. Cluckies you might be okay. You look high and dry where you are...? Anyways it's flagyl so do your research. I did a 2 week holding of eggs after. She actually was molting so eggless anyways.

Morning, and a late one at that..

I do not like this format! The inconveniences of it far outweigh the features..

I hate not being able to click and see this thread, unless some one has added to it since I last read it....

I am enjoying this dark dreary day that was forecast to be sunny... I wonder is science will ever advance to the point of forecasting weather correctly more than 10 minutes in advance?

Luckily for us climate and weather are not related:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau

Nothing else new that I can think of. Not getting many responses on my last CL ad...Judy thinks I was rude on it... I stated right in the ad I was not being rude.....Oh well...

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/grd/6178037227.html

OH and I forgot to ad..

Thanks BC... and your welcome, I really do not mind doing the research and work involved in searching for you kids cars... I am a little disappointed in your DS though, not wanting a Ford truck and picking an inferior one does not bode well for his future, shows he could make foolish choices in life....

:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau

And I should while helping the younger generation like I am point out..

There is no shame in not showing a PC when you know the world champion PC currently resides in Orrock Township and you do not........... Same could be said for other breeds too, take Dom's for example......

I so enjoy being Mr. Helpful.

Back
Top Bottom