Surviving Minnesota!

I have a bunch of junk in the car garage that needs to be organized, thrown or moved around tonight...and then maybe I should bring up the newly fixed up snowblower. DH built a stand for DD 3-4 weeks ago and that flipping mess is laying in front of the v plow. IDK what we'll get up here for snow ...we may skirt out of the brunt of it. But Winter is Coming eventually I would think.

Birds. With the High 30's and 40's They have been free ranging as the skiff of snow melted away pretty fast Saturday. They were glad to be out and seem to be happy as larks. They put away the food this time of year and it's a transition for me to keep up to them. Bugs and Frogs and worms do help the feed budget. Grass does a little bit. One of the Marans has been producing a double yolker like every other day. I really like these birds but they are large and eaters. Sentry is an eater too. He likes the feed bowl. But I have to say he is picking up his foraging and doing better there. He's just a chunky monkey though and it takes alot of fuel to run a big engine.

Ralphie there are some Mountains up there. I climbed Oberg mountain 2 years ago and the view was spectacular. Enjoyed it with DD. She distracted me from the pain along with the view and we made pretty good work of it all. I cannot or would not be excited about ice for the climb up or down. yikes.
The family did a deer drive through our back woods yesterday. DD in a stand. DS and DH driving towards her. She saw all sorts of tails 2 ridges over as the boys came through. No shots fired. Season over. DS's 6 point in the freezer. I think I should ask my parent's neighbor about her grassfed angus. I was looking at them yesterday....

Layers. Do you have rules when they can be hatched in ND for 4h? In MN must be hatched on Jan 1 or after of the current year.
Nope we don't. Only rules we have is they have to be some form of PT tested within 90 days, and you can only show 2 per breed per class with a limit of 12 total birds. For 4H we have these classes
IMG_20191126_055756.jpg
IMG_20191126_055826.jpg

Poor Ralphie. He and Rodney get no respect !
Ralphie, I live in area 182 but within the Hermantown city limits. So discharge of a rifle is not legal here unless in the pursuit of bear, wolf, government trouble makers or other vermin. Although I am in the city limits there is hundreds of acres of adjacent property which is undeveloped woodland. I believe where you were hunting has a very active timber wolf pack. 5 or so years ago I would commonly see double digits of deer daily in my field, and now I rarely see one. A few harvested by bow hunters but most by wolves.
We have a forecast of 4 to 8 inches of snow between tonight and tomorrow. the chickens will free range today but not tomorrow the way it seems.

Back
Top Bottom