Tell me about how you breed your guineas!!

Ozarkhomesteader

Songster
9 Years
Oct 18, 2014
Arkansas
Ok, breeding season is coming up, and I am busy getting all my poultry into breeding groups, setting up nest boxes etc. Looking forward to babies!!

This is my first time with Guinea fowl. I have 10, and they are about 10 months old, I got them last April as keets. They free-range on our 24 acres (and the road, and our neighbors property...they like to make the rounds!) and at night they are trained (ok, ok...bribed) to come back to their coop for a little bit of feed and grains. We absolutely love them, they are so fun to watch! Quickly becoming a favorite around here.

I would love to gather their eggs and incubate them to grow the flock, and maybe sell some, as guineas are really desirable in my neck of the woods (probably because we have TONS of ticks here). And I've got a few neighbors down the road who want to buy some if I have any keets...

Anywho. From what I've been reading, guineas seem to be pretty tricky. They lay on the ground (aka totally susceptible to the many predators we have around here) and they are terrible parents! I don't really want to leave it up to them, as I have a feeling I wouldn't be getting any keets. Despite all this, I'm having trouble finding information about HOW people are able to gather eggs. I've thought about making a temporary pen off their coop with bird netting on top, but I feel like they will hate me forever if I lock them up. But if this is the only way...

So how do yall breed your guineas?? I you have them free ranging, are you able to find eggs? Where do you find they like to lay? Do they tend to lay at a certain time of day, or anytime? Would they lay closer to home, or in my neighbors yard? Is there anyway to give them spots and encourage them to lay where you want??

So many question! My apologies. Really any experience or insight you have would be much appreciated!! Thanks!!

When the guineas first start laying, they drop the eggs wherever they happen to be at the time the egg wants to come out.

Once they figure out what is going on, they start using hidden nests. Finding those nests can be tricky.

Some people build nest sites in the coop. Some do it by arranging hay or straw bales in such a fashion that the guineas can hide their nests in cavities formed by the bales.

At least one person would put bedding in a wheelbarrow for her guineas.

Finding the hidden nests is just the first part. Once I find a nest, I remove the eggs and add 3 or more fake eggs to the nest. This seems to help keep the hens laying in the same nest. I never gather the eggs until after I put the guineas in the coop for the night. I do not let the guineas see me taking their eggs.

If your guineas tend to lay early in the day, you can keep them shut in the coop until after they are done laying for the day.

Watch where they lay, often times they’ll lay in an area where they are susceptible to being eaten by predators. Every year I lose skinny hands because they lay nests outside my electrified area. In the past I’ve had them lay eggs and the same nest as the ducks. My broody saxony duck hatched and number of keets and reared them to boot!. 2 or 3 still believe they are ducks and sleep with the ducks instead of roosting with the guinea!

The ducks came along shortly after my Guinea tick experiment started and they stole my heart. I’m now definitely a duck guy. I couldnt live w/o my quackers! It’s hard for me to leave town and not miss the ducks 😆

Attachments

• B7B8B6F7-6618-4BAE-803C-78250D482566.jpeg
    B7B8B6F7-6618-4BAE-803C-78250D482566.jpeg
    632.3 KB · Views: 14
When the guineas first start laying, they drop the eggs wherever they happen to be at the time the egg wants to come out.

Once they figure out what is going on, they start using hidden nests. Finding those nests can be tricky.

Some people build nest sites in the coop. Some do it by arranging hay or straw bales in such a fashion that the guineas can hide their nests in cavities formed by the bales.

At least one person would put bedding in a wheelbarrow for her guineas.

Finding the hidden nests is just the first part. Once I find a nest, I remove the eggs and add 3 or more fake eggs to the nest. This seems to help keep the hens laying in the same nest. I never gather the eggs until after I put the guineas in the coop for the night. I do not let the guineas see me taking their eggs.

If your guineas tend to lay early in the day, you can keep them shut in the coop until after they are done laying for the day.
Thanks for all this great insight! This is awesome. Whew, they sound tricky! I like the idea of at least trying to build places they might like in and near their coop... there are so many potential hiding spots on our property, it's going to be nightmare to find those nests!
Gosh, I hope they lay early in the day! I could easily keep them locked up a few extra hours each morning...

What sort of fake eggs do you use?? I tried to fake a couple muscovies out last year with some plastic easter eggs filled with rocks and painted white. Switched their real eggs for those cause a snake was eating the eggs...well those little ducks knew what I had done! One stopped laying completely for a bit, the other found a new nest...just wondering if guineas are as picky as my ducks, haha.

Watch where they lay, often times they’ll lay in an area where they are susceptible to being eaten by predators. Every year I lose skinny hands because they lay nests outside my electrified area. In the past I’ve had them lay eggs and the same nest as the ducks. My broody saxony duck hatched and number of keets and reared them to boot!. 2 or 3 still believe they are ducks and sleep with the ducks instead of roosting with the guinea!

The ducks came along shortly after my Guinea tick experiment started and they stole my heart. I’m now definitely a duck guy. I couldnt live w/o my quackers! It’s hard for me to leave town and not miss the ducks 😆
Those silly birds...it's really amazing they survive at all in the wild...they just seem to be lacking in a few departments, haha. Knowing them I feel like they will try to nest near my neighbors pack of ravenous dogs...surely they aren't that dumb. I hope.

Awe! That's awesome, if i can find the eggs, I might have to try sticking some under some broody ducks...that is cool! What a pretty girl you have there too! I'm with you, I adore my ducks. The first backyard bird I got when I was 8 years old were 4 little cayuga ducklings. Ducks have a very special place in my heart!

Thank you so much for chiming in!

My 4 Guinea hens are nearly 10 months old, and roost in the barn/coop every night after spending most days free-ranging.
I haven’t witnessed any egg-laying yet (!) but am always on the lookout for impromptu nests, both indoors and outside. Thanks for sharing your wisdom, @R2elk :thumbsup

What sort of fake eggs do you use?? I tried to fake a couple muscovies out last year with some plastic easter eggs filled with rocks and painted white. Switched their real eggs for those cause a snake was eating the eggs...well those little ducks knew what I had done! One stopped laying completely for a bit, the other found a new nest...just wondering if guineas are as picky as my ducks, haha.
I make my own eggs from Sculpey Oven Bake clay.

Love this.. I am living this! 13 Guineas and now a duckling! ❤

Back
Top Bottom