Texas

I got him and two of his brothers from a woman on Craigslist. It was a case of a 90% male hatch from a batch of eggs. I was overjoyed to take him off her hands.

And SunHwaKwon I just realized your not the person I thought I was talking to. I thought you were warrenhound, there is a town near me called Warren so that's how it got mixed up.

Here'sy Cream Legbar/ EE roos. The 2 lighter one are my keepers and the dark one is whom I'm wanting to trade. The only reason I think he's a roo is because he's the biggest bird in that flock.

Attachments

• A8F41BB3-16DA-4503-88C0-34F7D17B2F91.jpeg
    A8F41BB3-16DA-4503-88C0-34F7D17B2F91.jpeg
    549.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 2BCCE434-FCB1-414D-945C-124DDE766CED.jpeg
    2BCCE434-FCB1-414D-945C-124DDE766CED.jpeg
    364.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 2D6CBC64-DCC1-4B79-82CE-EA1C7A8951DE.jpeg
    2D6CBC64-DCC1-4B79-82CE-EA1C7A8951DE.jpeg
    684.4 KB · Views: 2
Are your Buffs full grown?
I'd love to se some pictures of them.
This is my roo, Dorothy. He is 14 weeks and has been letting his hormones get the best of him. He has been dancing at me and my toddler so he’s been left in the run while the others are out. He will probably move on to another flock soon.

Attachments

• 86B99700-4F02-4D02-AE98-B13F0E80E64D.jpeg
    86B99700-4F02-4D02-AE98-B13F0E80E64D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Texas Hill Country (Canyon Lake) here. Forgive me I didn't see this earlier. We're still kinda new to the chicken world. We got our first two (1 year old~ Red Shavers I think) about a year ago. Then we were given four chicks (2-Easter Eggers, 1-Brahma, 1-Barred Rock...again I think) this Spring. We've already been helped...hopefully soon we can help others.

Attachments

• Chicks_30_May_2019.jpeg
    Chicks_30_May_2019.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • RedShavers_30May2019.jpeg
    RedShavers_30May2019.jpeg
    874.4 KB · Views: 6
Texas Hill Country (Canyon Lake) here. Forgive me I didn't see this earlier. We're still kinda new to the chicken world. We got our first two (1 year old~ Red Shavers I think) about a year ago. Then we were given four chicks (2-Easter Eggers, 1-Brahma, 1-Barred Rock...again I think) this Spring. We've already been helped...hopefully soon we can help others.
Welcome to the Texas thread. Make yourself at home! :frow

Woo, got through the city inspection! Actually was less to it than I had expected - she just looked at the coop/run and admired it, and looked at the 3 babies, said they were too small for the legbands, filled out the paperwork and handed me the metal bands for when they're older. We got legbands 18, 19, and 20, so that tells me how many other chickens are registered in Saginaw.

The legbands are these big metal things - will the girls mind wearing those when they're bigger?

Woo, got through the city inspection! Actually was less to it than I had expected - she just looked at the coop/run and admired it, and looked at the 3 babies, said they were too small for the legbands, filled out the paperwork and handed me the metal bands for when they're older. We got legbands 18, 19, and 20, so that tells me how many other chickens are registered in Saginaw.

The legbands are these big metal things - will the girls mind wearing those when they're bigger?
It may speak more to how many people bother going through the city process, or invest the resources to be compliant with local ordinance. Kudos, on getting the low numbers!

:thumbsup

In regards to the size of the tags and if they are appropriate for your hens, does your local ordinance require they be displayed? If not, then I would toss those in the paperwork bin personally. Vernon's Texas Health and Safety Code does specify that current rabies will be displayed and it is a class c misdemeanor per animal found in violation, just for a comparison. If your hen's do wander it might be kind of fun to tag them::lau
I can visualize someone on the phone letting animal control know their hen responds to(in our case it is Red and Polly)...... or explain that you have a special needs hen, who will only eat dry cat kibble if hand fed, otherwise, OSHA requires hearing protection for anyone within 100 feet.......

Last edited:
Hi, we live in the Austin area and own a duck rescue organization that partners with All Things Wild, a wildlife rehabilitation nonprofit. My daughter runs the rescue called Super Duck Rescue.

We have several rescues ready for adoption. We will traveling to Brenham in the next few weeks so we can take some rescues to the Houston area if you want to adopt and are from there. Here is who we have right now.

Pine: Pine has been with with us the longest. He is a beautiful male muscovy who was brought to us with a broken wing caused by a snapping turtle. He also has angel wing. The only special needs he has is that he will need to have his wings clipped after molt due to the angel wing tripping him. He is sweet and funny but has had a hard time finding a home for the fact he is a boy.
IMG_20190412_171513507.jpg

Daffy. Daffy is a young Fawn and white Runner who was rescued from a local park after being attacked by two male Pekins. His eye has healed but he's still missing feathers on the back of his neck. Otherwise, he's perfectly healthy.

IMG_20190531_182041798_BURST001.jpg

Saoirse and Terrapin. These guys have to be adopted together. Saoirse is a Splashed Swedish and Terrapin is a Black Swedish. They're very sweet and don't mind being handled. Again, they have been with us a long time because they are boys.

IMG_20190531_100521787.jpg

For more information about our organization visit

www.jolondann.wixsite.com/superduckrescue

Out here in the boonies there are no such inspections. Chickens roam freely all over the little town of Bandera that I live near. Actually I've never heard of chicken regulations or inspections other than to sell eggs. Not surprising in the over regulated world we live in today.

In regards to the size of the tags and if they are appropriate for your hens, does your local ordinance require they be displayed? If not, then I would toss those in the paperwork bin personally. Vernon's Texas Health and Safety Code does specify that current rabies will be displayed and it is a class c misdemeanor per animal found in violation, just for a comparison. If your hen's do wander it might be kind of fun to tag them::lau
I can visualize someone on the phone letting animal control know their hen responds to(in our case it is Red and Polly)...... or explain that you have a special needs hen, who will only eat dry cat kibble if hand fed, otherwise, OSHA requires hearing protection for anyone within 100 feet.......

I believe the point is that if our chickens go over the fence, and animal control gets called, they can look up whose birds they are.

Yeah, our chickens respond to @Purple Rose calling "TREATY-TREAT!"

Back
Top Bottom