The Ancona breeders thread

At 4 weeks and two days old I think I can which chicks are single comb, there are=6?

The heaviest chick is a single comb cockerel at 17oz, there's a Rose comb cockerel that weighs 16.5oz, Of course the weights are not perfect as the chicks don't really sit to be weighed so they could weigh the same.

I had them out in this big enclosure the two big boys were fighting! Obviously not much came of it but still I couldn't believe it. Yah I'd say they mature fast. I really won't be able to separate the males from the female for a few moths, I haven't built the cockerel/breeding pen yet.

They're spending their first night out tonight in the new coop.

You could check out our website. We can probably get out another shipment. at some point.

Do you ever sell started pairs or trios? I can't justify 25 chicks at this time because of the initial cost and then having to brood them and wait for them to mature and grade them and around here...I'm lucky to get $5 for a laying hen and I cannot even give away roosters, LOL Plus, I have three coops and a brooder full of babies already. I have 4 dozen eggs due Thursday and another 3 dozen waiting to go in after those...and that's probably going to be it for this year.

So while it might be kind of spendy to invest in a pair, trio or quad==at least I'll know what I have and a jump start on mature stock going into the winter. Thank you!

Do you ever sell started pairs or trios? I can't justify 25 chicks at this time because of the initial cost and then having to brood them and wait for them to mature and grade them and around here...I'm lucky to get $5 for a laying hen and I cannot even give away roosters, LOL Plus, I have three coops and a brooder full of babies already. I have 4 dozen eggs due Thursday and another 3 dozen waiting to go in after those...and that's probably going to be it for this year.

So while it might be kind of spendy to invest in a pair, trio or quad==at least I'll know what I have and a jump start on mature stock going into the winter. Thank you!

We might have some mature stock in the fall.

I'm not sure how we're going to approach it at this point. I might actually be moving away from shipping birds. I might just start to sell at shows I attend. We'll see as the autumn plays out.

Okay. I was on another list and they're sold out of chicks and might have adults in the fall....I'm just amazed that I can't find a pair of these to work with....please do keep me in mind...

Thank you!

~Heather

Okay. I was on another list and they're sold out of chicks and might have adults in the fall....I'm just amazed that I can't find a pair of these to work with....please do keep me in mind...

Thank you!

~Heather

I think that if we actually did a role call for recognized APA/ABA breeders of the breeds most of us take for granted, we'd be absolutely shocked.

Back
Top Bottom