The Ancona breeders thread

What is a good weight for 16 week old Ancona's? Mine are only six W/O now but I'm just wondering.

A few pounds I guess.

Vague.

Why I'm wondering where the birds should be at 16 weeks is that I want an objective measuring stick and weight is objective. I've noticed a big difference in weights of my chicks.

First group: 3 large birds, one single comb, two rose comb all three are definitely cockerels. In my novice opinion (subjective) one has better type but too much white the other has better color but type not as good. I know: type first, paint later.

There's a few nice birds in next group, second largest birds, they might all be cockerels it's not so obvious with this group. Truth be told my son is convinced we've got a lot of pullets and very few cockerels. He might be right.

The third group is where most of the birds fall

The fourth group is composed of three or four smaller birds. Of course the sweetest bird we have is in this group hopefully it's a pullet, I'm keeping all the pullets.

When can you tell what color pattern will be at maturity? I realize they will likely whiten with each successive molt.

Another thing, at one point if one consistently keeps breeding the biggest and best you would eventually get birds that were too big for the standard. I'm thinking the records I keep now will help me way down the road,

Does anybody raise show quality single comb anconas??

I've heard talk of one flock in the mid-west somewhere, but currently a majority of Ancona efforts is being focused on the RC, which is a good thing. When breeds are very rare, one focus is a recipe for success, multiple focuses overextend efforts and reduce the chances for success.

Back
Top Bottom