Thanks for doing this, it's very nice of you.

My Primary Goal with my Malays is to Purebreed them, Recreate the PBA with them, & hopefully introduce some different colors into the breed.

Thinking about doing some experimental cross breeding with them, crossing to both my CrackerFowl Hens, & Red JungleFowl.

They're also gonna be used for creating some F1s for my Giant Silkie Project, to help increase their size.
No problem! Getting aseel (mostly, because that's my breed but really ALL Oriental game fowl) the recognition they deserve is something I'm very passionate about

I love you breeding projects, they're so interesting, can't wait for this years pairs and chicks!

I would love to start my breeding project this spring, but I've yet to find a good hen for my rooster, so I don't know if it'll be possible this year

If not, thankfully aseel stay healthy for a long time, and I will fulfil myself with my other chicken projects, if they got to plan that is, and all the other aseel breeding projects of BYC

If you're looking for the general differences between the two, I've owned both breeds, raised from hatchery stock.

Both birds were originally bred for fighting, and the Cornish sucked at it and so began to be bred exclusively for meat, and this explains their differences in a nutshell.

Aseels are fairly calm and intelligent, friendly towards humans with little handling, but aggressive towards other birds. The cocks will not tolerate other males, sometimes starting as early as 5 weeks old, although the Cackle Hatchery birds I have now are 14 weeks old and still not too bad. I did have a bad round of fighting at 6 weeks and monitored it closely, almost losing one of them. Cornish are nowhere near as bad in that regard, and also seemed much less intelligent to me. I took a lot of predator losses on the Cornish, and very few on the Aseels, possibly due to differences in awareness, but I think the heavier, more awkward build of the Cornish just doesn't give them speed or coordination. Aseels are more broody of the two, and lay fewer eggs as a general rule, though they are both not good layers.

To reemphasize, one is a game in temperament and function, the other is a meat bird with some genetics reaped from a gamefowl ancestor.

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask for more information!

Here's one of my stags. Any and all opinions are appreciated!
20230907_105220.jpg

A lot of hens are starting to go broody right now. My Asil decided to go broody right on top of a Cubalaya/AGF hen. They seem to be peacefully sharing the old nesting box
View attachment 3741891
At first I thought there were three with one just being totally squished under everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom