The EE braggers thread!!!

I had a hatch yesterday my last of the year for EE. I only had a half a dozen or so EE.

But look at this little guy he is so cute. He already has the beginnings of tufts and muffs. Now if he just had a home to go to. (I am guessing HE on the theory the cute ones are all roosters)..

I had a hatch yesterday my last of the year for EE. I only had a half a dozen or so EE. But look at this little guy he is so cute. He already has the beginnings of tufts and muffs. Now if he just had a home to go to. (I am guessing HE on the theory the cute ones are all roosters)..
I always have really good odds, about 75% accurate, with pea comb chicks, comparing the width of there comb when they hatch. Wider is Roos narrower is hens. So based on what I can see you may have a hen? Figures crossed

Our blue ameraucana X EE blended are very sexable at day old by the wing feathers
Can't wait to have a few grow out so we can.see what they lay.

We've bought in some blue & splash marans to go for a dark green egg
1f601.png

Hello, folks.

After months of searching for the right breed for me, I have found that the breed I find the most appealing is not a breed at all: it's the Easter Egger, the unofficial landrace fowl of America. These birds are a bizarre assortment of just about any breed, but they all have one thing in common: they can all hail the Araucauna as one of their founding breeds. And while my orderly personality prefers a more orderly chicken, I cannot help but like the surprises you can find in Easter Eggers.

Here's some shots of mine. They are all about two years old:

Buttons. She stopped laying about a year ago for reasons unknown, but other than that is my healthiest EE hen. She used to lay green eggs.

Lou-ella. She is very personable and lays a pretty pale-green egg.

Pumpkin. As you can see, she is a favorite of the boys. Here she is sitting on her pale green eggs.

Thorin. He is one of the best roosters I've had. In honor of Independence Day, here's a shot of him with the Stars and Stripes in the background.

Cleo. She was taken by a predator last year...I do not know what kind. She went broody off in the brambles where I couldn't reach her, and disappeared shortly thereafter. She laid pinkish eggs. In the background is Balin when he was younger...he is my second-best EE rooster in appearance and first best in his manners with the girls.

Here's another of Thorin, in mid-crow.

Someday, I would like to breed EE's for a few general characteristics: pea combs, beards, broodiness, and bluish-green eggs. But I have made so many plans that didn't work out that I think I'll just say that it's a dream, not a reality. :p

~Gresh~

Hello, folks.

After months of searching for the right breed for me, I have found that the breed I find the most appealing is not a breed at all: it's the Easter Egger, the unofficial landrace fowl of America. These birds are a bizarre assortment of just about any breed, but they all have one thing in common: they can all hail the Araucauna as one of their founding breeds. And while my orderly personality prefers a more orderly chicken, I cannot help but like the surprises you can find in Easter Eggers.

Here's some shots of mine. They are all about two years old:

Buttons. She stopped laying about a year ago for reasons unknown, but other than that is my healthiest EE hen. She used to lay green eggs.

Lou-ella. She is very personable and lays a pretty pale-green egg.

Pumpkin. As you can see, she is a favorite of the boys. Here she is sitting on her pale green eggs.

Thorin. He is one of the best roosters I've had. In honor of Independence Day, here's a shot of him with the Stars and Stripes in the background.

Cleo. She was taken by a predator last year...I do not know what kind. She went broody off in the brambles where I couldn't reach her, and disappeared shortly thereafter. She laid pinkish eggs. In the background is Balin when he was younger...he is my second-best EE rooster in appearance and first best in his manners with the girls.

Here's another of Thorin, in mid-crow.

Someday, I would like to breed EE's for a few general characteristics: pea combs, beards, broodiness, and bluish-green eggs. But I have made so many plans that didn't work out that I think I'll just say that it's a dream, not a reality. :p

~Gresh~

I'm with you totally on this. Initially I got a few EE's for the blue eggs. We intended to raise a heritage breed and were trying to decide which one. There are a few I enjoy and have some of these breeds in my flock but I didn't want a mostly cookie cutter flock.
Then my husband picked a breed which I thought was good, but it never worked out for us. What a disappointment, both in their egg production, personalities and health.
So while we decided what breed we wanted to go with I had a breeding project going with my EE's and both my husband and I came to the conclusion they were our favorite breed. We got a variety of egg colors, mostly blues and greens, but we got bluer eggs from them then from the cream legbars.
Last year when our heritage breed brown egg layers (We still have a few of several breeds.) all took an egg laying vacation over winter, our EE"s carried us through, never missing a day along with our California greys who I had gotten just so I would have a non leghorn white egg layer.
Now I have projects going involving both breeds. Both breeds are excellent layers and I have a varied colored flock.

Another reason I like EE's is that you can breed them to a general body type fairly easily (after all, many EE's are similar, having beards, pea combs, etc., though some don't). Also, one thing I find so abhorrent in standard chicken breeds is the obsession with exact coloration. Many a healthy, sound bird has been culled from a standard breed flock simply because its coloration didn't match the APA's strict standards. With EEs, there is no standard for color, allowing one to feel free from the pressure of breeding for coloration, and allowing better concentration on more important breeding aspects such as body type, disease resistance, egg-laying, and broodiness.

Glad y'all like my birds. I fell in love with them as soon as they arrived from the hatchery. I bought mine from Ideal Poultry and all arrived safely and soundly...no problems whatsoever. I remember how plucky they were!

had one of our brown hens got broody this weekend so shes now sitting on 3 blue "araucana" eggs one tailess, clean faced green/blue "araucana" egg, and one off our best layers, a light red hen with white tail "the little red hen" coloured,
they are all mated with an "araucana" rooster, but i use the term "araucana" loosely since the pair both have beards and muffs and no tufts, all are rumpless, and europien so dont really know what they are. but with research, i find the ameraucana was a cross breed in the early 1900s from araucanas, and the same was done in scotland around the same time by someone else, it has a tail, and recognised as an official british araucana as well as the rumpless. so according to this standard we have something betwwen the 2, rumpless muffed and bearded, although the hen has long feathers behind her muff that sweep back behind her head, which is a specification of the official british so i dont know,

anyway we will see in 3 weeks hopefully if the hen continues sitting but we will be getting our 1st easter egger from the red hen and hopefully our male will be passing on a blue gene.

since we were hoping to breed araucans and make a bit of cash in the process, we decided if we sell anything to just advertise them as blue or green egg layers here in france, since most of them dont believe you when you say you have blue and blue/green egg laying chickens, so we can still ask double the price as for a brown layer and get it,

we should have known that e80 for a trio was a bit cheap for araucans, but hey ho, theyre good layers, almost all yolk, and if decent size.
will hopefully post some pics in 3 weeks if they hatch.

Hello, folks. After months of searching for the right breed for me, I have found that the breed I find the most appealing is not a breed at all: it's the Easter Egger, the unofficial landrace fowl of America. These birds are a bizarre assortment of just about any breed, but they all have one thing in common: they can all hail the Araucauna as one of their founding breeds. And while my orderly personality prefers a more orderly chicken, I cannot help but like the surprises you can find in Easter Eggers. Here's some shots of mine. They are all about two years old: Buttons. She stopped laying about a year ago for reasons unknown, but other than that is my healthiest EE hen. She used to lay green eggs. Lou-ella. She is very personable and lays a pretty pale-green egg. Pumpkin. As you can see, she is a favorite of the boys. Here she is sitting on her pale green eggs. Thorin. He is one of the best roosters I've had. In honor of Independence Day, here's a shot of him with the Stars and Stripes in the background. Cleo. She was taken by a predator last year...I do not know what kind. She went broody off in the brambles where I couldn't reach her, and disappeared shortly thereafter. She laid pinkish eggs. In the background is Balin when he was younger...he is my second-best EE rooster in appearance and first best in his manners with the girls. Here's another of Thorin, in mid-crow. Someday, I would like to breed EE's for a few general characteristics: pea combs, beards, broodiness, and bluish-green eggs. But I have made so many plans that didn't work out that I think I'll just say that it's a dream, not a reality. :p ~Gresh~
What beautiful birds!
had one of our brown hens got broody this weekend so shes now sitting on 3 blue "araucana" eggs one tailess, clean faced green/blue "araucana" egg, and one off our best layers, a light red hen with white tail "the little red hen" coloured, they are all mated with an "araucana" rooster, but i use the term "araucana" loosely since the pair both have beards and muffs and no tufts, all are rumpless, and europien so dont really know what they are. but with research, i find the ameraucana was a cross breed in the early 1900s from araucanas, and the same was done in scotland around the same time by someone else, it has a tail, and recognised as an official british araucana as well as the rumpless. so according to this standard we have something betwwen the 2, rumpless muffed and bearded, although the hen has long feathers behind her muff that sweep back behind her head, which is a specification of the official british so i dont know, anyway we will see in 3 weeks hopefully if the hen continues sitting but we will be getting our 1st easter egger from the red hen and hopefully our male will be passing on a blue gene. since we were hoping to breed araucans and make a bit of cash in the process, we decided if we sell anything to just advertise them as blue or green egg layers here in france, since most of them dont believe you when you say you have blue and blue/green egg laying chickens, so we can still ask double the price as for a brown layer and get it, we should have known that e80 for a trio was a bit cheap for araucans, but hey ho, theyre good layers, almost all yolk, and if decent size. will hopefully post some pics in 3 weeks if they hatch.
Those are some neat looking birds! :)

Back
Top Bottom