The Gun Thread

Pics
1711793750990.png

I have been zapping spatzes (House Sparrows) that have been trying to nest in the bluebird house outside my office window.

View attachment 3785215

This is a Taipan Veteran Short in .25 cal, zipping along a 25 grain pellet at 890 fps. It is my squirrel gun, not that I have gotten a squirrel with it yet... Major overkill for sparrows, but it is handy in the Deathgrip tripod, and very accurate.
Do the hand pumps work well? I would really like an air rifle that does not require co2 or electric compressors but yet accurate enough to shoot sparrows at 50 to 75 feet. My middle name is Overkill...

Do the hand pumps work well? I would really like an air rifle that does not require co2 or electric compressors but yet accurate enough to shoot sparrows at 50 to 75 feet. My middle name is Overkill...
Hand pumps work and are inexpensive, just get an air rifle that has a smaller reservoir and not a really high fill pressure. I had a Hatsan Flashpup that worked just fine, and wasn't bad to pump up. Hand pumping will wear you out quick though, so go into it thinking of it as a workout. The Umarex Notos is another one that seems to be getting a lot of positive attention, that would be a good hand pump gun.

Another option would be a multi-pump. There are some out there that are accurate enough for all your sparrow blasting needs, and you can vary the power by pumping less (when shooting inside a barn for instance) and can be pumped to max when you are outside. The Crosman Drifter is an accurate handy little made in America option that will put the smack down on sparrows all day. The Seneca Dragonfly is a full size multi-pump that I have heard a lot of good things about.

Hand pumps work and are inexpensive, just get an air rifle that has a smaller reservoir and not a really high fill pressure. I had a Hatsan Flashpup that worked just fine, and wasn't bad to pump up. Hand pumping will wear you out quick though, so go into it thinking of it as a workout. The Umarex Notos is another one that seems to be getting a lot of positive attention, that would be a good hand pump gun.

Another option would be a multi-pump. There are some out there that are accurate enough for all your sparrow blasting needs, and you can vary the power by pumping less (when shooting inside a barn for instance) and can be pumped to max when you are outside. The Crosman Drifter is an accurate handy little made in America option that will put the smack down on sparrows all day. The Seneca Dragonfly is a full size multi-pump that I have heard a lot of good things about.
Wow, thanks for all the information, I am on the trail to find my new sparrow blaster. I have lots of freeloaders in the Pea pens and now the Martin houses are being invaded like our Southern Border.

Wow, thanks for all the information, I am on the trail to find my new sparrow blaster. I have lots of freeloaders in the Pea pens and now the Martin houses are being invaded like our Southern Border.
Tis the season for the birds and, soon, the bees.

I took a starling off the bluebird house this morning and set it up as a decoy hoping it might lure in a few more. But the cloud cover returned and I usually only see starlings on the lawn in the morning on sunny days. I also do actually have to work...

Once it gets a little warmer I can start working with my window open and listen for the tell tale cheep of sparrows, grawks of starlings, and rattle of pigeons in the barn gutter.

Back
Top Bottom