The Honey Factory

Pics
Uh-oh... the hive at the house just swarmed... see that dark spot in the tree... the queen is in there somewhere, lol

gonna go try catch it.. wish me luck!

6F7B16B1-C7DB-4AE8-B247-38041277BED2.jpeg
7D15D254-57BF-4032-99A1-923521F2685B.jpeg

No broken bones, but how’d you get that footage of me tree surfing?! 😉

I think/hope we got the queen in the new box...

I’d set a new box as a swarm trap out a couple weeks ago... was planning a hive check tomorrow... to decide if I needed to split...
The swarm assembled directly... I mean gnats ass perfectly above the new box ... but up 30 foot ( 9-10 meters) or so 🙄...

I felt like there was a pretty good chance it would go to the box if I left it s alone, but that queen and I have become close, and I was scared I’d miss her too much... so I decided to risk a ladder and pole saw dance to try to get her in the box...

I moved the box, and my fearless wife in head to toe gear helped me cut down the limb ...

As the limb came down the swarm shook loose and probably 75% of it landed exactly where the new box would have been if I’d left it there 🥴

long story short I waited till the bees started to ball up and then scooped and brushed the main balls of bees into the box hoping the queen was in there...

after a minute or three, the bees began to march into the box...

then I went to collect eggs from the chicken coop and found a skunk in a cage trap... so I have tomorrow’s adventure queued up too 😜

2AFE2462-3307-4C54-BB9C-76FF68E1ED6C.jpeg
78A139F9-2723-4FD0-9FC1-96A99C623000.jpeg
8931E10F-435A-4BC9-A803-A42F4A02755F.jpeg
9D203435-EB74-4936-95FA-544284C32B01.jpeg
0C74F209-A1F0-4577-ACBB-B313B02C9132.jpeg

I’d set a new box as a swarm trap out a couple weeks ago... was planning a hive check tomorrow... to decide if I needed to split...
The swarm assembled directly... I mean gnats ass perfectly above the new box ... but up 30 foot ( 9-10 meters) or so 🙄...

I felt like there was a pretty good chance it would go to the box if I left it s alone, but that queen and I have become close, and I was scared I’d miss her too much... so I decided to risk a ladder and pole saw dance to try to get her in the box...

I moved the box, and my fearless wife in head to toe gear helped me cut down the limb ...

As the limb came down the swarm shook loose and probably 75% of it landed exactly where the new box would have been if I’d left it there 🥴

long story short I waited till the bees started to ball up and then scooped and brushed the main balls of bees into the box hoping the queen was in there...

then I went to collect eggs from the chicken coop and found a skunk in a cage trap... so I have tomorrow’s adventure queued up too 😜

View attachment 2118041View attachment 2118042View attachment 2118043View attachment 2118044View attachment 2118050
Amazing! You people have nerves of steel!

View attachment 2118041View attachment 2118042View attachment 2118043View attachment 2118044View attachment 2118050
Also...
I am pleasantly surprised to see your wife does not actually have an eye patch, peg leg or dread locks 😂

How can you tell with her inside the figure flattering beekeepers suit?
Waeel, I can't tell for sure about the hair I guess. But if dreads smell as bad as Braxton says they do I think I might have gotten a whiff through the screen.
I can clearly see there is no eye patch.
And me thinks if there were a peg leg, I would expect to see one side of those pants secured with duct tape. I don't think those boots would stay on a peg.
Just my southie logic. But who really knows.

Waeel, I can't tell for sure about the hair I guess. But if dreads smell as bad as Braxton says they do I think I might have gotten a whiff through the screen.
I can clearly see there is no eye patch.
And me thinks if there were a peg leg, I would expect to see one side of those pants secured with duct tape. I don't think those boots would stay on a peg.
Just my southie logic. But who really knows.
So you’re saying I am right again..

In less exciting bee news, my bees were working like crazy. My timing was about right on when I removed the entrance reducer.

There would have been a huge traffic jam if it was still in place. I should have one week worth of new bees now.

I gave them water today, kind of. I have a small chicken waterer set up about 15 ft from the hive. It finally went empty.

And there are dandelion flowers on the orchard with the 🐝. My one pear tree is blossoming. They should open in the next day or two.

My second flock of buzzers should be here this coming week. It is a 5 frame nuc. I don’t think I will have to feed them at all.

I bought a few things yesterday, a medium super with frames, 5 extra frames, 2 queen excluders, a bee brush, and a frame lifter.

Back
Top Bottom