The Honey Factory

My uncle Willie was like this old man! - I like to learn how to build at least part of my woodware myself. Most likely not the frames, the Chinese can mass-produce these parts, its not worth my time. But i will certainly build my own hive-boxes, sturdy and thick wood to keep the bees warm in winter and cool in summer.
Styrofoam-Hives! 😖 I cannot write what my uncle had to say about those, that would be censored here. Her tried one of those and out of habit set down his smoker on a part of the hive… 🤣
The guy from whom i bought my first bees and hives was not using Langstroth hives, but he was not into producing honey, he earns his bread by making queens, packaged bees and nucs. He called them "resource hives".
If your Uncle is like me I imagine he can string those verbs and adjectives together pretty good. :lau Check out Premier Bee Products for frames and foundation. Precision milled and sturdy "select" pine. The wax coated foundation is engineered for better brood production.

Last edited:
If you want American made equipment I use Humble Abodes/Betterbee frames and boxes. I get budget/commercial grade woodenware, bees dont care and I can drive there. Western Bee Supply is another good choice. Once in awhile you may get a misfit in budget grade but rarely and depending on the company the next grade up usually isn't that much more. Nucs (resource) boxes I build myself out of rough cut. By far the best plastic foundation Ive used and still do is "Acorn". American made and the heavy wax coating is excellent. Most suppliers get there plastic foundation from Pierco or Acorn.

If your Uncle is like me I imagine he can string those verbs and adjectives together pretty good. :lau Check out Premier Bee Products for frames and foundation. Precision milled and sturdy "select" pine. The wax coated foundation is engineered for better brood production.
I bet you and my uncle are very similar, except he was cursing in German… 😜
They always had red apples in their orchard, everything blushed when he went off. 🤣
Thank you very much for the link to Premier Bee Products, but i am not too impressed with their frames, i spotted this issue right away:
1708283321519.png

That staple (red arrow) is utterly useless as it can just be pulled out. Dadant frames have a staple driven through the fork-part (green arrow) which actually locks the joint. - Of course Uncle Willie would do things even more extreme by drilling a thin hole through the joint then insert a glued wooden pin. He hated everything metal in his hives, no nail no screw no staple; just glue and wood. He even cooked his own glue, if i remember correct from sheep-hide and bones.
Guess whose job it was to dip the pins into the glue and push them into the holes… 😜 - I really miss my Uncle.

Which leaves me with another question:
View attachment 3751424
What color is best for the foundation? - I don't think the 🐝 really care, do they?
My mentor was using white foundation only, because he could spot mites and other parasites more easy. (?)
I have heard it said that black foundation for brood frames makes the eggs easier to see.

I bet you and my uncle are very similar, except he was cursing in German… 😜
They always had red apples in their orchard, everything blushed when he went off. 🤣
Thank you very much for the link to Premier Bee Products, but i am not too impressed with their frames, i spotted this issue right away:
View attachment 3751421
That staple (red arrow) is utterly useless as it can just be pulled out. Dadant frames have a staple driven through the fork-part (green arrow) which actually locks the joint. - Of course Uncle Willie would do things even more extreme by drilling a thin hole through the joint then insert a glued wooden pin. He hated everything metal in his hives, no nail no screw no staple; just glue and wood. He even cooked his own glue, if i remember correct from sheep-hide and bones.
Guess whose job it was to dip the pins into the glue and push them into the holes… 😜 - I really miss my Uncle.
I see what your saying, I get unassembled frames, use Tight Bond Green, 2 #4 penny box nails on top, also pre drilled. 2 1' staples under the rest ear into the top bar, glue and 2 1 " staples and glue through the bottom bar into the uprights. Your Uncle I think, enjoyed the work and was real old school.. Mine are done in the winter when I have all the time in the world. Set ten frames in the Jig I made with "scrap 1 by I have in the shop. Pennies for what they want from the suppliers. Oh yes, it sounds like your uncle knew the art and nuances of the verbal barrage, it's understood in any language. :eek:

Which leaves me with another question:
View attachment 3751424
What color is best for the foundation? - I don't think the 🐝 really care, do they?
My mentor was using white foundation only, because he could spot mites and other parasites more easy. (?)
I get the black foundation only because these old eyes can see the eggs easier. The bees don't care. The white makes sense for the mites. Hey, I made a rhyme.

I use black frames too, easier to see eggs and larva for grafting. Most mites are under cell caps and the underside of the workers so you wont see them running across the frames. If you do see mites running around the frames that colony isn't going to survive.

Nice comparison of foundation and brands: https://blog.foxhoundbeecompany.com/foundation-cell-size/

Back
Top Bottom