The Honey Factory

Pics
I think the best thing to do before getting a permit or gathering the Wild bees, is check and see what variety of bee you have, so you can fill out the permit properly.

First crawl up the tree and tie yourself securely to the tree by the knot hole. Make sure the knot is double tied you don’t want a quick release for this part.

Then look in the hole, reach I and start pulling out the bees one at a time. Check the bee if it is not the queen, release the bee back into the hive and grab another.

Eventually you will get the queen so you can identify her variety.

Do no wear glove or arm protection as that will startle feral bees.
animated_1591936619168.gif

Today I went out to my chicken pen and heard a buzzing sound... looked around and found a bunch of bees buzzing around a hole 30 foot up a huge red oak.... is there a difference between domesticated and wild bees? Would somebody want them?

There are no native honey bees in North American, all of the ‘wild’ hives are various strains of European honey bees that have escaped from bee keepers... that might be a bit of a generalization... as feral hives cast swarms too, so some ‘wild’ hives could come from other ‘wild’ hives etc..
but in any case for the most there isn’t any difference in ‘domesticated’ bees and ‘wild’ bees...

So more or less, all honey bees in North America are the same... the big exception would be Africanized bees which are very aggressive and can be dangerous... it would be unlikely that you would have those in North Florida... but i THINK it is technically possible for your location... I’m not certain about that though

since your bees are in a big red oak tree, removing them without destroying the hive or the tree is a bit of a low odds proposition...

generally bee keepers will do a ‘cut out’ for hives that make a home in the wall of a building or an old tree that is being removed anyway... but capturing the queen without cutting the tree is just kind of lucky...

but you can search for bee keepers in your area bee and they might come look it over and would likely know if your area has had africanized bees ...

I’m not on Facebook, but my state has a state beekeepers group on FB where folks post messages about hives they would like help with, and there are always beekeepers in the area that are interested in obtaining a new hive, so it generally works out for all involved ....

Back
Top Bottom