The Honey Factory

Pics
After 9 days of turning wrenches, fixing everything that broke I had a great day. I did not touch a wrench except to pick them up and put them back in the tool boxes.

I did break the handle on my shop broom, but after switching handles with the WW deck broom, my broom looks good and works just fine.

I watched a video on piggy backing one hive on top of another, the other day, I am considering doing that this winter.

I would move them indoors This fall.

The weak hive is the package, the nuc is extremely strong.

Ok... if it’s a package and you want to overwinter it... here’s how I do it...

I hate giving bee advice... because bees are Sooooo local ... as far as keeping goes... and I also I hate it because I mix thing up.. forget and relearn.., etc...

But... my success with packages is to always to prop them up with drawn comb at the minimum... but some brood and nectar/honey ( that is cooking with gas vs wood)

.... then I give them 1:1 till they stop taking it... which they never do here, because typically just as they get built up, the dearth settles in ( July/August) and so I keep pumping them up...

Google it to make sure but 1:1 makes for draw comb... 2:1 ... something else...

I forget... but I don’t want to feed bees... so 1:1 for packaged and getting drawn comb is all that sticks in my head at the moment... but again... know your bee life cycle.., younger bees and thin nectar is what makes new comb...

There is danger of them stacking up too much ‘sugar water honey’ and giving the queen no place to lay...

So at some point I like to give them a super and freeze that extra ‘honey’ in the frame for late winter feeding (march and early April here) ... if needed...

Asked the turkey again and it says ‘Eat more bees... poop on rocks’... but it’s never been to MN 🙄

Attachments

• 5E89D362-B73E-40CB-940B-027A8959569B.jpeg
    5E89D362-B73E-40CB-940B-027A8959569B.jpeg
    1,011.1 KB · Views: 9
Also, when I say feed heavily, or whatever I mean I give them 1:1 in this... I’ll look it up if interested... but I think Dadant sells it( could be misremembering)... it holds a $hit ton of 1:1 though... it’s not perfect and does drown some bees if you let it run low...but it’s i hive top design that allows I low disturbance approach

I’m not saying you need this... but just saying for me, constant 1:1 gets packages to boom...

64024468-8317-4976-9F80-1033E8D9E46D.jpeg
p

Also, when I say feed heavily, or whatever I mean I give them 1:1 in this... I’ll look it up if interested... but I think Dadant sells it( could be misremembering)... it holds a $hit ton of 1:1 though... it’s not perfect and does drown some bees if you let it run low...but it’s i hive top design that allows I low disturbance approach

I’m not saying you need this... but just saying for me, constant 1:1 gets packages to boom...

View attachment 2202898p
A bee jacuzzi, How cool!:cool:

A bee jacuzzi, How cool!:cool:

Well if they are jacuzzi-ing in it... we have a problem, lol...

They climb the middle part and feed as the ‘water’ goes down... it feeds A LOT of bees easily... so I like it for package....

But I currently have a turkey poult on my right shoulder and it’s BFF chicken chick opposite... so what do I know 🥴.... lol

They climb the middle part and feed as the ‘water’ goes down... it feeds A LOT of bees easily... so I like it for package....

But I currently have a turkey poult on my right shoulder and it’s BFF chicken chick opposite... so what do I know 🥴.... lol
You know how to accessorize ! :lau

Pics or it didn't happen

Lol... you must have been 30 seconds too late... I just took them on parade through the house, and put them in the crib, right after I typed... maybe tomorrow.... or maybe I’ll wake them for Kiki pajama dance party or whatever that turned into 😉
That party is insane!

Back
Top Bottom