The Honey Factory

Pics
I just read that a queen and her daughter sometimes serve the same hive simultaneously and that this likely happens more often than beeks realize--as you wouldn't know unless you happened to see them both on the same frame sometime.

Interesting..., I’m trying to think when this would happen...

I’d guess it would mostly likely be due to a supersedure situation, where the old queen is just allowed to stay put after the new queen returns from mating flight?

I wonder if the granny bee gets on then younger queen’s nerves by telling her how she should be laying her eggs 🙄

Interesting..., I’m trying to think when this would happen...

I’d guess it would mostly likely be due to a supersedure situation, where the old queen is just allowed to stay put after the new queen returns from mating flight?

I wonder if the granny bee gets on then younger queen’s nerves by telling her how she should be laying her eggs 🙄
Yes, that's what she said--supercedure--no comment on mother/daughter relations, however. 😂

Honeybee on Sweet Clover
full

Honeybee on penstemon
full

Honeybee on milkweed
full

So I went through my original hive frame by frame and never did see the Queen. There are uncapped larvae but all of them seem to be bigger in size. I didn’t see any of the smaller size larvae.
So,maybe something did happen to her. 🤷‍♀️😢
My mentor had suggested that I move the frame(s) when Queen cells into the new hive, but after not finding the Queen and seeing no smaller larvae ( my eyes aren’t good enough to see eggs), I decided to leave the frames where they are.
The bottom brood box is mostly filled with honey.
Here are some pictures from today (Wednesday).
AF89C661-01A4-46D7-8702-B61A5B6CD99D.jpeg
7899E3C8-DF19-4CC0-B9DC-9BB278608A38.jpeg
30125884-30C6-42AE-A7C2-0ABD06CA293C.jpeg
DEAAFD8C-EEEE-47AF-9BA5-B8E76DDEBFC5.jpeg
1C7F365A-5A7A-4EC5-8B70-83FFD7EFF663.jpeg
12D523B8-E39C-48DD-BAB4-4C6D6E916825.jpeg
3263100E-8268-470B-9A7B-DC2CFC8FFAB7.jpeg
8CE5C373-AFCA-44DF-9102-7C0A2D9D5B65.jpeg
61BEB54C-5985-4509-AC4A-A8372E3D8747.jpeg
71908AAF-8A39-4533-B21E-9D314CAF3D45.jpeg
6226A627-596B-4E97-ADB2-D657FDF995D4.jpeg
586A4CFD-C10A-471F-A9C4-7689D3E378D9.jpeg
8AC2AD3E-7FF4-4913-B2C4-78D422159FB4.jpeg
27552BA5-0A1D-4D71-B0AA-DEA9C63CEC0A.jpeg
478D671F-891F-4CB5-8C98-5ABFF9A77F5E.jpeg
DC42E703-FED5-44F7-854B-B54A93C3C804.jpeg
DA3E6F01-C78B-4B80-8E72-8355B2560DD3.jpeg

If anyone sees any eggs or smaller sized larvae or the Queen let me know!! Or anything else that you think I need to know. 😁

Yes, that's what she said--supercedure--no comment on mother/daughter relations, however. 😂

I can see that happening with supercedure... I was trying to think how it might result from a swarm cell situation, but couldn’t think of that being the case...

... I recall reading about swarms moving into hives occupied by weak colonies, and then killing off the existing queen and a lot of workers as they defended her... 😳... and then they all settle in and bee-come one big happy family after a day or so

apparently a pretty common thing with Africanized honey bees, but something that happens occasionally with regular European honey bees too

I can see that happening with supercedure... I was trying to think how it might result from a swarm cell situation, but couldn’t think of that being the case...

... I recall reading about swarms moving into hives occupied by weak colonies, and then killing off the existing queen and a lot of workers as they defended her... 😳... and then they all settle in and bee-come one big happy family after a day or so

apparently a pretty common thing with Africanized honey bees, but something that happens occasionally with regular European honey bees too

I have seen the YouTube’s where a guy claims to have two queens in one hive... but

It is really two hives with a two screenS between them to keep the womanly scent/odors/stench from reaching all the workers.

I am second guessing myself on my moving of the brood.

I am wishing now I had ordered a new queen when I first noticed the problem, pinched the old queen and started over.

I am tempted to try moving my bees for winter. My brother lives in NC. If I drove them down there in late September and picked them up in late March, I might have a chance at over wintering them.

Three problems with this plan,
He is a flaming liberal and I hate to see my corrupted..
He does not know of my plan and may not agree to it..
Says he is moving to Canada if the election goes the right way this fall..

I hate to move bees back here in November.

I have seen the YouTube’s where a guy claims to have two queens in one hive... but

It is really two hives with a two screenS between them to keep the womanly scent/odors/stench from reaching all the workers.

I am wishing now I had ordered a new queen when I first noticed the problem, pinched the old queen and started over.

I am tempted to try moving my bees for winter. My brother lives in NC. If I drove them down there in late September and picked them up in late March, I might have a chance at over wintering them.

I'm in VA, I don't know much about bees and wouldn't do much to maintain them (as far as opening the hive, I could provide water dishes and such outside), but they could park at my place if you wanted them somewhere warmer for the winter. We rarely get below freezing and when we do it's only for a few days at a time.

I'm liberal but not "flaming" and not likely to corrupt your girls.

I'm in VA, I don't know much about bees and wouldn't do much to maintain them (as far as opening the hive, I could provide water dishes and such outside), but they could park at my place if you wanted them somewhere warmer for the winter. We rarely get below freezing and when we do it's only for a few days at a time.

I'm liberal but not "flaming" and not likely to corrupt your girls.
Sure, you say that now, until you decide to move to Canada..

The disadvantage of moving them is the possibility of disease..

Sure, you say that now, until you decide to move to Canada..

The disadvantage of moving them is the possibility of disease..
Lol, I seriously doubt I'm going to Canada, I mean, that would require selling a house, farm, finding 2 new jobs, relocating 4 horses... yeah...

And understood on the disease. I don't think there are any honey bees around my place but not sure.

People do over-winter them in unheated sheds, I hear...

Back
Top Bottom