The Honey Factory

Pics
do the holes contain Larvae? all that space = extra comb. as long as the bee eating birds don't eat a thousand or more a day. which is to say yes they can withstand a pair of birds. for in a strong hive about 1000 hatch out dailiy
I'm so new that I forgot to look for larvae. :oops: :oops::he
When I blow the picture up, I am not seeing any larvae, but the angle isn't quite right either.
I also have not found the queen yet but I have not looked at every frame plus I may just be overlooking her.
My plan today was to remove the frame feeder ( I didn't think they needed it anymore, but now I'm not sure. It was completely empty of sugar water when I took it out. I now have 9 frames in the 1st brood box (compared to 7 with the frame feeder in there).

I did drop 2 frames of bees. :barnie and I had a bee inside my bee hat twice! but I did not get stung. Oh, and my smoker went out.

I messaged my mentor to see when she can come out and open the hive with me. Hopefully it will be soon!

When I blow the picture up, I am not seeing any larvae, but the angle isn't quite right either.
I also have not found the queen yet but I have not looked at every frame plus I may just be overlooking her.
My plan today was to remove the frame feeder ( I didn't think they needed it anymore, but now I'm not sure. It was completely empty of sugar water when I took it out. I now have 9 frames in the 1st brood box (compared to 7 with the frame feeder in there).

I did drop 2 frames of bees. :barnie and I had a bee inside my bee hat twice! but I did not get stung. Oh, and my smoker went out.

I messaged my mentor to see when she can come out and open the hive with me. Hopefully it will be soon!
I haven't used a smoker on my bees in many years.

I'm only on page 1 in reading this thread, but COOL!
I have 2 used hives my brother brought home a couple of months ago. They're in great shape. I read how to clean them up, but didn't do it yet. There are a bazillion laws about keeping bees in NJ! Including requiring taking an expensive class.
But! I still need to learn, to be able to get closer to honey!

I find the queen easy to find. well maybe not but i can usually find her
I haven't used a smoker on my bees in many years.
How?????

I find the queen easy to find. well maybe not but i can usually find her

How?????
I have gentle bees that are not prone to swarming. Pretty much the only reason I open up a hive is to take the supers off in preparation for stealing honey.

I haven't gone into the body of a live hive in many years.

I take the supers off, set them on a nearby set of saw horses. I leave them until evening when most of the bees have returned to the hive. I do my best to get the few remaining bees out of the supers before moving them to the house for extraction.

Back
Top Bottom