The Honey Factory

Pics
@R2elk
I got stung by a wasp today.
Somehow I feel like it's your fault.
Fine, obviously your wasps aren't like my wasps. I never did find the sand wasp that I lost in the house. My sand wasps have never offered to sting me even when I pet them.

My sister thought it was my fault when she got bucked off of the donkey and landed on a bumblebee which stung her in the butt. I laughed my butt off.

I think I might have stumbled on my problem.

I read queens will stop laying if it gets too hot. We have had 2 weeks of hot weather.

85-90+ degrees and no clouds. I had not removed the bottom slide part. The screen was covered. I removed it today. I am thinking I should have removed it two weeks ago.

thoughts?

it’s a good thought...

my previous gibberish was meant to warn about ‘I read _____ ... and made the assumption ____... but now ____ ‘ ... approach to bee keeping...

I’ve been guilty of it too many times... “oh that looks like my issue, so I’ll do this or that... and I’ll come back later.... and crap I zigged but the bees zagged”...

but you can cobble up a top vent from 3/4 inch stock or just prop the cover up with shims to help ventilate the hive also...

certainly good things to think about if the hive is getting lots of sun... I’ve never had a hive abscond due to bad hive conditions... but an beek friend was had it happen two years in s row before he realized his hive was just baking...

Fine, obviously your wasps aren't like my wasps. I never did find the sand wasp that I lost in the house. My sand wasps have never offered to sting me even when I pet them.

My sister thought it was my fault when she got bucked off of the donkey and landed on a bumblebee which stung her in the butt. I laughed my butt off.
This wasp took major offense to my putting my hand on it.
It got me in the finger...it felt like the stinger went clear through to the bone. whew boy did I say some vulgar things.

it is proving to be more challenging than I thought. I thought I could buy a hive, put it in the field and harvest honey in Oct...

that was beekeeping in 1985ish and before... but even then it was not quite that romantic...

It’s actually better today than it has been in the last two decades... but bee keeping has been one of the most challenging things I’ve ever done...

partly because I’m a ‘day late’ type keeper... but partly because bees are such an odd mix of regiment and dynamic at the same time...meaning they click like clock work until they don’t... then they make things happen yesterday to adjust...

hang in there, bees are fun.., hives are challenging... struggling hives are the best teachers...

failed hives happen even under old ma nature’s watch... so don’t take it personally if things don’t go smoothly here and there...

I’m in no way suggesting your hive is failing... I’ve got one in worse shape at the moment, and I’m not panicked at all 😉

Last edited:
I do like to talk to the bumbles... but they don’t have as much to say as the honey bees
How bouts wood bees?
Those seem to be plentiful around here this year. Those dam things like to chase you too. I had 4 of them after me the other day. I got to swatting them out of my face and One of them almost went down in my boot.
I think I would've died.
Tell me why I shouldn't hate them. :pop

Back
Top Bottom