The Honey Factory

Are you planning on overwintering bees?
Are you comfortable wading through ticked off bees until you find the queen? By ticked off.... I’m thinking crawling in every exposed crack or crevice not adequately armored.

If you’re going to over winter bees, wade through and find queen. Capture her and put her in a small vial of alcohol. Couple drops of this tincture works well setting swarm traps next year. Condense the now queen less hive as far as possible. Leave them alone. 7 days from now wade through that hive and destroy the emergency queen cells. Do a newspaper combine with your weakest hive. If it’s hot, give them an upper entrance so they don’t cook to death.

If you’re not wintering bees. Soapy water in a garden sprayer soak them down box by box. Shake out excess, feed capped frames to other hives as needed.

She loves the honey they produce as long as they don't come anywhere near her.
I don't dislike honeybees at all really. Long as they don't harass me. I try to never kill one. If it won't leave me alone it gets dead.
All this talk about the difference in temperament from hive to hive is interesting to me. And I have wondered myself in the past if some of the bees we have now are mixed with Africanized bees somehow someway. I do not ever remember growing up having a honey bee bother or scare me. You had to really work at it to get a honeybee to sting you..like step on one barefoot.
My parents and grandparents always gardened and they were always honey bees a plenty.
Now I don't see that many honeybees and when I do a lot of times they are buzzing around almost like they are confused. ☹️

I don't dislike honeybees at all really. Long as they don't harass me. I try to never kill one. If it won't leave me alone it gets dead.
All this talk about the difference in temperament from hive to hive is interesting to me. And I have wondered myself in the past if some of the bees we have now are mixed with Africanized bees somehow someway. I do not ever remember growing up having a honey bee bother or scare me. You had to really work at it to get a honeybee to sting you..like step on one barefoot.
My parents and grandparents always gardened and they were always honey bees a plenty.
Now I don't see that many honeybees and when I do a lot of times they are buzzing around almost like they are confused. ☹
When I was growing up, the Italian honeybees that I had were not what I would consider friendly. The Italian honeybees that I have today are the gentlest bees that I have had. My Saskatraz also have not caused me any issues.

By far the Buckfast bees that I had for a short time were the meanest honeybees that I have ever dealt with. Like Ralphie's mean hive, those bees would attack without cause and I got stung numerous times just for walking past the hive.

Splitting this hive keeps the nasty genetics. The emergency queen is going to be as nasty as mother. Moving them won’t make a lick of difference. Requeening this time of year is an option, but they will be nasty until spring.

Think outside the box.

How would you get a gentle queen replacement?

There's nothing that says she has to use a daughter for this hive to replace. She could purposely use an outside source. (But she'd have to make sure the queen cells get taken out to not get a nasty daughter replacement.

Your comment did help.
Ralphie is not a she.

Start from the beginning of the thread and you will have all the answers to the questions in your previous post.

Ralphie is not a she.

Start from the beginning of the thread and you will have all the answers to the questions in your previous post.

So you want me to dig through 117 pages? I have no idea which page he posted that on.

This is why people get frustrated at beeks.

Back
Top Bottom