The Honey Factory

She's already a great looking queen!
Thanks!!

I owe credit to my wife. It was a very small Sept swarm. First one that Iā€™ve ever hived, had them fan at the entrance, then decide to leave two hours later. We hived them again and she combed through the bees until she found the virgin queen. Stuffed her in a cage threw feed on them, Put them in their spot at dusk. Next day they were drawing out comb so I released her.

I was worried about her mating. Drones havenā€™t been kicked out yet, but they are getting close. So far, they are doing OK. I donā€™t think they have the numbers to make it over winter, but Iā€™ll have resources for the next swarm at a minimum.

Thanks!!

I owe credit to my wife. It was a very small Sept swarm. First one that Iā€™ve ever hived, had them fan at the entrance, then decide to leave two hours later. We hived them again and she combed through the bees until she found the virgin queen. Stuffed her in a cage threw feed on them, Put them in their spot at dusk. Next day they were drawing out comb so I released her.

I was worried about her mating. Drones havenā€™t been kicked out yet, but they are getting close. So far, they are doing OK. I donā€™t think they have the numbers to make it over winter, but Iā€™ll have resources for the next swarm at a minimum.

Funny you should mention the drones. I had them still the other day. I thought they would be dead by now.

IMG_1133.JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

IMG_1135.JPG

It's not finished but it's so exciting to see it coming together! :wee I got my screened bottom board and bolted on legs. It's a sturdy beast for sure! I hope the Squatch bees šŸ love it. Now if they will live through the winter I can split my Squatch hive in the spring! If not, I guess I know where I can buy more...

ā€œBest plans of mice and men often go awryā€...

Thatā€™s me and bees this year.

The weather went from hot and windy to cold and windy.

There was no point at which I dared to open the hives to winterize. I thought Thursday I could on Thursday it was suppose to be above 40. Well, the weatherdorks changed that.
4B55D8FD-1CBD-422A-954F-93AF7FE13F61.png

Maybe Friday morning.

I guess I will just order bees in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom