The Honey Factory

I found it!!

https://www.mannlakeltd.com/comb-honey-kit

Look at this picture. They are for making comb honey. Essentially they are splitting 1 box into a bunch of small square boxes and the bees can only enter and exit through the slots in the wood thing so they don't cross comb and glue the whole thing together.

Or that's what it looks like to me.
Nope, I don’t think that’s it. The split section boxes look this;

C4E9451E-4231-45D1-A839-1BEB57488E77.png

Nope, I don’t think that’s it. The split section boxes look this;

View attachment 2517015
Yep, they do, look at the one that I shared, you can see the dividers on the top (the long sticks with holes in them), there are 7 with that kit, then there are 28 of the split section boxes under them or at least the kit comes with 28 of them, not sure how many are actually in use at once.

They all go together for this one really funky hive box.

I wonder if there is foundation in those boxes?
Or do you just hope the bees fill them with honey?

I tried using natural beeswax foundation last year to make comb honey. All that happened was the bees stole the wax and used it elsewhere. Leaving me with holy wax.
Yes, back when I was doing comb honey, I did put foundation in the boxes. At that time, it was natural beeswax as nothing else was available. Of course you want natural beeswax for the foundation since you don't want to bite into a piece of plastic.

Question. I know it takes a lot of resources to produce comb / wax, but I wonder if you could just give bees chunks of wax or wax pellets and let them melt them down and use them to build how they want so no foundation needed as well as the bees not having to waste time and effort making more wax. I do understand that bees sometimes get creative with their comb design when given free rein, but it could be interesting if it would work.

Question. I know it takes a lot of resources to produce comb / wax, but I wonder if you could just give bees chunks of wax or wax pellets and let them melt them down and use them to build how they want so no foundation needed as well as the bees not having to waste time and effort making more wax. I do understand that bees sometimes get creative with their comb design when given free rein, but it could be interesting if it would work.
They will reuse some chewed caps, but most is secreted. I think it has to be to get it to properly bind together.

No foundation in Langstroth hives = unharvestable comb.

Back
Top Bottom