The Honey Factory

What do we look for, when keeping an eye on them?
Make sure they center the comb on the frame. If they build it wavy, cut top and gently bend where you want it.

Ideally foundationless frames get put between two drawn frames. These don't need any attention. Bees draw them without help 99% of the time.

Beesource has a huge bee forum with lots of reading if you're interested

You can run foundation less frames in hives, you can't run frameless. Its illegal in most states ( if not all ) to run frameless because the hives cannot be inspected for AFB or other disease without destroying the hive. Skeps are the old classic hives that are frame less. When running foundation less you can use starter strips as long as the hives are level. In basswood sections or ross rounds you use thin surplus foundation for comb honey. I just run thin surplus medium frames in supers for comb honey.

You can run foundation less frames in hives, you can't run frameless. Its illegal in most states ( if not all ) to run frameless because the hives cannot be inspected for AFB or other disease without destroying the hive. Skeps are the old classic hives that are frame less. When running foundation less you can use starter strips as long as the hives are level. In basswood sections or ross rounds you use thin surplus foundation for comb honey. I just run thin surplus medium frames in supers for comb honey.

I have made some up but not used them yet. I was thinking of sandwiching them between two foundationed frames. I must be a genius, or I read it somewhere. I can’t really recall.

Some one inspects your hives?

Back
Top Bottom