The Honey Factory

I added a second story to my hive. It’s really early, but I needed too.

There is only 2 frames partially filled with brood right now. But I gave them the frames from my dearly departed bees. There was quite a bit of honey left in them and these girls are really packing away the pollen and sugar water.

I am think the only reason I don’t have more covered brood is because of the low number of nurse bees from the package. Is that correct?

it has been chilly too, but yesterday was pretty nice and the bees were active. Even if they didn’t find the pear blossoms 15 ft away.

Quick question. Since I'm doing all 8 frame mediums, I plan on needing to add the second soon. Would it be better to start with 2 so they like the amount of space since they don't have any brood, etc... of their own to make them want to stay.
I know in a split it would be fine with 1, but with the packages should I start with 2?
I also know it's a little late to ask but I've been asking myself for a year now.

There are two deeps topped with an empty deep just for holding things for the day. I took the empty one off and added it to the second one today.

Both deeps are filled with all but one frame of drawn comb. The one not drawn frame makes it easier to fit the queen package in.

Starting with one deep is the way to go and add the second later. For me, it is more convenient to leave both the deeps rather than find somewhere to store the second.

2 deeps work, why not 2 8frame meds.
I don't have any drawn comb and every other is plastic foundation/foundationless.

Quick question. Since I'm doing all 8 frame mediums, I plan on needing to add the second soon. Would it be better to start with 2 so they like the amount of space since they don't have any brood, etc... of their own to make them want to stay.
I know in a split it would be fine with 1, but with the packages should I start with 2?
I also know it's a little late to ask but I've been asking myself for a year now.
Wax moths and hive beetles will take advantage of the bees space that they can't protect and that could be a big problem.
They usually will abandon the bottom super and go right to the top one.
As always, it's up to you. I don't want people to tell me how to raise my kids either.. :lau

It's recommended to use 2 mediums or 1 deep when installing packages. 8 or 10 frame.

Wax moths and hive beetles will take advantage of the bees space that they can't protect and that could be a big problem.
They usually will abandon the bottom super and go right to the top one.
As always, it's up to you. I don't want people to tell me how to raise my kids either.. :lau

It's recommended to use 2 mediums or 1 deep when installing packages. 8 or 10 frame.
Thank you both.
I got them installed. 1 med with the 2nd on just holding the feeder that came with. I may add frames in a few days when checking on queen release. You (me) Duma$$. On the second package I slapped the side of it to knock the bee's into the hive. I smashed one and shoved a stinger into my hand.

Back
Top Bottom