The Honey Factory

We have been in some strange warm weather patterns here. Upper 70's the other day. I'm going with the don't take the honey and you don't have to feed method. Yet with these warm temps and my/our late start I keep thinking I need to make another batch of sugar water.

We have been in some strange warm weather patterns here. Upper 70's the other day. I'm going with the don't take the honey and you don't have to feed method. Yet with these warm temps and my/our late start I keep thinking I need to make another batch of sugar water.
With your current daily temperatures, it would be fine to check if they are light on stores. If they are light, I would get a block of fondant. Cut off a 5 to 10 pound slab and put it on top of paper with a shim and just check if they need more every couple weeks. The general rule of thumb is to have syrup feeding done before freezing nighttime temps begin.

Ouch!!!!!
For those of us that have to have our bees delivered that is the going rate. If a person lives where you can pick up bees locally, they are much less expensive.

I can't drive round trip to the nearest places where package bees can be picked up for the difference in the price of delivered bees.

That's not a bad idea, it helps to rotate out combs and can slow down swarming. Did you test the dead bees for Nosema?
No, I didn't. They had just defecated all over the inside frames/ foundation and the outside of the hive. I figured it was.
Those bees were sold to me in a nuc with a laying worker too. They didn't have a chance, even though I tried everything I could think of.

Back
Top Bottom