The Honey Factory

It's recommended to treat with OA between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Most of the mites at that time are phoretic and not under capped brood where OA can't kill them (formic acid kills mites under cappings but is temperature dependent). It's cheap, easy and does a pretty good job. I always treat any bees during the spring and summer with OA that dont have any capped brood. Swarms, packages, splits, requeening, etc. One issue with waiting until you see evidence of mites is it's too late to do anything about them once you do. Do monthly mite counts during the spring and summer.

Attachments

• Swarm-and-mite-control-graphic-2017_09_01-01_05_38-UTC (1).jpg
    Swarm-and-mite-control-graphic-2017_09_01-01_05_38-UTC (1).jpg
    118 KB · Views: 2
It's recommended to treat with OA between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Most of the mites at that time are phoretic and not under capped brood where OA can't kill them (formic acid kills mites under cappings but is temperature dependent). It's cheap, easy and does a pretty good job. I always treat any bees during the spring and summer with OA that dont have any capped brood. Swarms, packages, splits, requeening, etc. One issue with waiting until you see evidence of mites is it's too late to do anything about them once you do. Do monthly mite counts during the spring and summer.
That’s easier said then done here.

We are normally looking at highs of 10-15 degrees during that period and could have highs below zero for much of that time.

That’s easier said then done here.

We are normally looking at highs of 10-15 degrees during that period and could have highs below zero for much of that time.
Thats okay, here too. Its fine to treat with OA in cold weather. Thats the beauty of it and why its so effective. If you're concerned about using the dribble method in cold weather (I do). Just go with oxalic acid vaporization.

Thats okay, here too. Its fine to treat with OA in cold weather. Thats the beauty of it and why its so effective. If you're concerned about using the dribble method in cold weather (I do). Just go with oxalic acid vaporization.
Once my hives are sealed in October I don’t open them until late March at the earliest.

I

No need to open hives for OAV.
I am aware of that. But you mentioned the dribble method. It’s hard to dribble on a closed hive.

I really wish there were beekeepers from up here around. The survival rate over winter is extremely low in these parts. Most don’t understand how difficult it is to keep a hive alive in a climate like this where it may not get above 0 for a month . And we have stretches were the high might be 15-20 below for three weeks.

Coupled with winds of 30-40mph.

If I seem irritated, I am, I am tired of being judged by people, who think they have cold weather, for my bees dying. The number of beekeepers I know who had bees survive up here is zero, this year.

Btw our winters can last 6-7 months.

Last edited:
If I seem irritated, I am, I am tired of being judged by people, who think they have cold weather, for my bees dying. The number of beekeepers I know who had bees survive up here is zero, this year.

Btw our winters can last 6-7 months.
Sorry, a well respected researcher from Cornell once told me some places on earth just weren't meant to have honeybees.

You would almost need a separate building well insulated and possibly heated? Trying to keep it below freezing but above 0° ? Or maybe a straw bale building?
I know of people that have tried that. I am not set up for that.

I use insulation around them. I might try a “greenhouse” around them.

Or go back to killing them in the fall, sell that honey to buy bees back in the spring.

As far as the well respected researcher goes he might be right.

However, I must temper his advice, as I remember many well respected people from Cornell thought Biden would be a better President than Trump, and we see how that’s working out.

I know of people that have tried that. I am not set up for that.

I use insulation around them. I might try a “greenhouse” around them.

Or go back to killing them in the fall, sell that honey to buy bees back in the spring.

As far as the well respected researcher goes he might be right.

However, I must temper his advice, as I remember many well respected people from Cornell thought Biden would be a better President than Trump, and we see how that’s working out.
Love this so so much.

Back
Top Bottom