The Honey Factory

I am aware of that. But you mentioned the dribble method. Itā€™s hard to dribble on a closed hive.

I really wish there were beekeepers from up here around. The survival rate over winter is extremely low in these parts. Most donā€™t understand how difficult it is to keep a hive alive in a climate like this where it may not get above 0 for a month . And we have stretches were the high might be 15-20 below for three weeks.

Coupled with winds of 30-40mph.

If I seem irritated, I am, I am tired of being judged by people, who think they have cold weather, for my bees dying. The number of beekeepers I know who had bees survive up here is zero, this year.

Btw our winters can last 6-7 months.

I use insulation around them. I might try a ā€œgreenhouseā€ around them.

I was literally about to ask if moving them into a greenhouse might be effective?

I would move the greenhouse to them. My concern is the effect of the temperature swings on them. It could go from 70 above to 20 below on the same day.
Hmmm, I'll bet there's been some research on them in greenhouses. And yes, I figured it would be easier to assemble one around the hive rather than asking for their forgiveness in moving them. lol

Hmmm, I'll bet there's been some research on them in greenhouses. And yes, I figured it would be easier to assemble one around the hive rather than asking for their forgiveness in moving them. lol
I might move a small steel frame I have to my bee area. I would put plastic over it in the fall leaving the south open.

I would put a door there I could open or close at Will. This would allow me to leave the bees open to the weather until Feb. i seem to have no trouble making it to Feb. Then close it.

I will also treat more aggressively in fall and winter. Not sure it will help.

I am also thinking by adding some pollen patties in early Feb and maybe a little heat. I could stimulate some brood.

I think it is asking a lot for winter bees to live from Sept to mid April. I will have to work out the mechanics and see if it makes fiscal sense.

I might be better off taking every drop of honey and killing the bees in Oct.

I donā€™t know. I do have plans on how I will add heat. The pollen patty could be harder to add in February.

I might move a small steel frame I have to my bee area. I would put plastic over it in the fall leaving the south open.

I would put a door there I could open or close at Will. This would allow me to leave the bees open to the weather until Feb. i seem to have no trouble making it to Feb. Then close it.

I will also treat more aggressively in fall and winter. Not sure it will help.

I am also thinking by adding some pollen patties in early Feb and maybe a little heat. I could stimulate some brood.

I think it is asking a lot for winter bees to live from Sept to mid April. I will have to work out the mechanics and see if it makes fiscal sense.

I might be better off taking every drop of honey and killing the bees in Oct.

I donā€™t know. I do have plans on how I will add heat. The pollen patty could be harder to add in February.
I know it's not quite the same thing, but I do know someone who keeps their goldfish in stock tanks in a greenhouse. Occasionally the door gets frozen shut so he pours boiling water over the frame/tracks to let it slide open. I've not been in it, but it seems warm and moist from the videos I've seen.
hot the comeback GIF
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

I know it's not quite the same thing, but I do know someone who keeps their goldfish in stock tanks in a greenhouse. Occasionally the door gets frozen shut so he pours boiling water over the frame/tracks to let it slide open. I've not been in it, but it seems warm and moist from the videos I've seen.
hot the comeback GIF
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC
Where is this at? Does he use a tank heater?

I guarantee the temp inside the greenhouse will reach 35 below.

Back
Top Bottom