The Honey Factory

I might move a small steel frame I have to my bee area. I would put plastic over it in the fall leaving the south open.

I would put a door there I could open or close at Will. This would allow me to leave the bees open to the weather until Feb. i seem to have no trouble making it to Feb. Then close it.

I will also treat more aggressively in fall and winter. Not sure it will help.

I am also thinking by adding some pollen patties in early Feb and maybe a little heat. I could stimulate some brood.

I think it is asking a lot for winter bees to live from Sept to mid April. I will have to work out the mechanics and see if it makes fiscal sense.

I might be better off taking every drop of honey and killing the bees in Oct.

I don’t know. I do have plans on how I will add heat. The pollen patty could be harder to add in February.
When I started feeding in February is when my hives started making it through the winter.

I temporarily kept a package of bees in my greenhouse for a couple of days while the weather improved enough to move them out. There is still bee crap everywhere and on everything.
Well, they have to poop. lol I suppose if it was a special house for them you wouldn't mind though. The little wild ones out here have been busy. Still, not much blooming but they are buzzing around. It was warm enough for the wasps to wake up and start exploring. Any suggestions for knocking down a nest 100 feet in the air? Flaming arrows seem fun.
Erza - Sacred Arrow.gif

Hmm I noticed guys with migratory hives keep them 4 to a pallet . I wonder if that arrangement might help in winter . Sort of conserve heat if bumped tight against each other . Top cover might need to be a bit different .

Well, they have to poop. lol I suppose if it was a special house for them you wouldn't mind though. The little wild ones out here have been busy. Still, not much blooming but they are buzzing around. It was warm enough for the wasps to wake up and start exploring. Any suggestions for knocking down a nest 100 feet in the air? Flaming arrows seem fun.
View attachment 3032431
Cold morning and a shotgun works on bald faced hornet nests . Sfoot the limb off not into the nest .

Back
Top Bottom