The Honey Factory

Like this? I've got too much bee stuff.🤣

Attachments

• IMG_20221210_143047908~2.jpg
    IMG_20221210_143047908~2.jpg
    532.3 KB · Views: 9
I had to dig deep to find this thread. I didn't expect it to be on the DIY board. I got my first hive back in May and going into my first winter. Excited and nervous to see how they come out in the spring. It has been warm so they have still been bringing in pollen as of last weekend.

Question, does anyone keep bees in a chicken run? I've thought about it quite a bit but don't know how high I would need to raise the hive. Right now I've got landscape timbers running through stacked cinderblocks. So maybe 1 - 1 1/2 feet off the ground. I'd assume I need to raise them so the chickens can't just pick bees off the landing board?

I had to dig deep to find this thread. I didn't expect it to be on the DIY board. I got my first hive back in May and going into my first winter. Excited and nervous to see how they come out in the spring. It has been warm so they have still been bringing in pollen as of last weekend.

Question, does anyone keep bees in a chicken run? I've thought about it quite a bit but don't know how high I would need to raise the hive. Right now I've got landscape timbers running through stacked cinderblocks. So maybe 1 - 1 1/2 feet off the ground. I'd assume I need to raise them so the chickens can't just pick bees off the landing board?
The problem with putting a hive in a chicken run is they can't get away from the hive if they need to. There are times when even the most docile colony can get a bit testy.

First blooms are working north. Family member went to the annual flower show in Burlington, VT today and came home with pussy willow stems. I asked if from Virginia? Nope, Pennsylvania.

Geesh, I've got another month before seeing pollen. Was six inches of snow this week and forecast for next two weeks is high's in 30's.
That sounds miserable. I can’t stand the cold haha

Also found some queen cells with larvae in them. Will have to keep a close eye on them going forward. Someone on another site suggested they may have built these because of my Apiguard treatment. Trying to decide if I should abandon treatment and add another box or keep going. Mite count was zero yesterday.

90FA20CC-E974-4B4A-B892-931212DC7AD9.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom