The Honey Factory

A serious reaction is anaphylactic shock, which requires immediate medical attention.
That's one of my neighbors. But he and his wife are both glad the bees are coming. :)
One tip for bringing your nuc home is to put your AC on high. Cold is way better for shipping bees than heat. They will tend to cluster and not fly.
Thank you. That's very good to know.

I did buy some goatskin gloves. I hope I feel like I don't need them very soon. I thought I better have them to start with.

It has been really helpful for me to read this whole thread. Seeing the pictures of bees covering a frame has... desensitized me? ... to seeing that many bees all at once. That sounds ... wimpy. But I have never seen a live swarm of bees, or looked into a hive before.

The more I read about these fascinating bugs, the more curious I get.

I’m just starting to get into bees and someone shared a link to this thread. It’s been some very interesting reading, but there’s no way I’m going to read the whole thing. The later stuff don’t seem to have any posts from the OP. How did his bees turn out? Did Ralphie get mad and give up on bees?

I’m just starting to get into bees and someone shared a link to this thread. It’s been some very interesting reading, but there’s no way I’m going to read the whole thing. The later stuff don’t seem to have any posts from the OP. How did his bees turn out? Did Ralphie get mad and give up on bees?
No. He ended up not wanting the bees to die and has tried lots of things to keep them through the winters in northern Minnesota.
Do you have a mentor? It's really helpful to take a local beekeeping class or have a mentor/friend to help out.

No. He ended up not wanting the bees to die and has tried lots of things to keep them through the winters in northern Minnesota.
Do you have a mentor? It's really helpful to take a local beekeeping class or have a mentor/friend to help out.
I do have a mentor. I would never take this on without someone to guide me. He’s in his 5th season of beekeeping now and has grown to around 12 separate hives now. He really has a knack for it.

The OP is no longer a member of BYC or he would be updating his adventure.

Fortunately for you, you do not need to deal with the winter problems that make beekeeping so challenging for those of us with harsh winters.

@Apis mellifera should be able to address issues that you will need to deal with.

His 2 hives made it through the winter and he plans to split them.

@Apis mellifera should be able to address issues that you will need to deal with.
I will gladly take good advice from any source, but The Adirondacks aren’t exactly local😂. It’s fairly easy to tell from reading here, who knows what they are talking about. I’m sure I’ll be seeking input and advice from this experienced group.

Back
Top Bottom