The Honey Factory

I'm guessing the holes are extra "doorways" for the bees. So I'm assuming they should go in front...?
Yes, all my hives have one 3/4" hole in the upper brood box "below" the handhold. I leave them open all year, winter bees will use the hole for cleansing flights. The holes in your hive bodies are in the handhold so be careful when lifting the boxes, you dont want to crush bees on your glove when lifting. Just give them a puff of smoke before grabbing the handhold.

I'm guessing the holes are extra "doorways" for the bees. So I'm assuming they should go in front...?
They aren't just "doorways" but are also an aid in the ventilation. Back when I was a kid it was really common to have those holes. Nowadays there are other methods used and the holes aren't as prevalent.

I put piece of one by on the top of the inner cover at the front to provide ventilation through the hive and another entrance/exit.

Yes, my Russians from Kentucky came on time last week. My Italians from California that were supposed to come last week didn't come until this week.

A woman I know has bees coming from Minnesota that were supposed to ship on May 8 but have been pushed back one week.
Have you had Russians before? I can't remember.

Back
Top Bottom