The Honey Factory

Hi everyone,
I ordered a bee package end of April and placed it a Nuc.
A second deep box was placed on the Nuc in end of June or early July.

I just order an 8 frame box: 1 deep and 2 mediums.

I need to put the box together and stain it. I prefer not to paint because I love the natural look of wood.

I then want to transfer the bees to the 8-frame asap as to give them time to get acclimated and continue to grow in enough time before fall/winter.

Hi everyone,

I need to put the box together and stain it. I prefer not to paint because I love the natural look of wood.

I then want to transfer the bees to the 8-frame asap as to give them time to get acclimated and continue to grow in enough time before fall/winter.
What kind of wood is it? Pine molds.
It's fine if you don't want to paint, you'll just have to replace them more often.

Hi everyone,

Are they currently in a 5 over 5 frame nuc or 2- 8 frame deeps and how many frames do they have drawn out? What state are you in?

Are they currently in a 5 over 5 frame nuc or 2- 8 frame deeps and how many frames do they have drawn out? What state are you in?
They are currently in a 5 frame nuc.
I am in PA, zone 6b.

They were place in one box, which they out grew to the point some were clustering on the outside of the box. I added the second box a few weeks ago and now they are all back inside.

I will have to wait until Sunday to check the second box and perhaps take some pictures.

They are currently in a 5 frame nuc.
I am in PA, zone 6b.

They were place in one box, which they out grew to the point some were clustering on the outside of the box. I added the second box a few weeks ago and now they are all back inside.

I will have to wait until Sunday to check the second box and perhaps take some pictures.
So you have them in 2 - 5 frame nucs. Thats good! I would leave them in that configuration until next spring. Its hard to get bees to draw a lot of comb after July. Keep 2:1 sugar syrup on them until they fill the top box with capped syrup and they're good for the winter. Clustering on the outside of the hive is normal.

Attachments

• IMG_20230727_165226829_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230727_165226829_HDR.jpg
    924.1 KB · Views: 3
I am so behind on the bee yard to do list that I'm using this vacation weekend to try and catch up. Wanted everything treated for mites in August and finished up the last yard this morning. Pulled supers, OA dribble and put OA pads on. Hope I wasn't too late on that yard treatment. Had two swarms I'd yet to move into yards and did that at sunrise. One of those was a smaller cast off with an Italian virgin. Moved it to the new location and found every frame in the nuc was filled with brood. Nice queen, squished her and combined with a carni colony I was growing out to make a three high nuc stack. The other swarm was a 6 to 7 pound prime with a very nice year old carni queen. Will winter that in the single deep I'd hived the swarm in. Coffee in hand, trying to get motivated into spinning out the honey this afternoon. We've had a good fall flow here. Golden rod is finishing up soon and no frost in the extended forecast. Still loosestrife and asters are coming in strong. Knotweed is near the yard I pulled honey today. If the weather holds out I should only have to feed the nucs for winter. Happy about that.

Back
Top Bottom