The Honey Factory

Lost a hive. Was in the main apiary today to take off the last of supers. I'd taken what could be spun two weeks ago and treated everything for mites. All colonies looked good then. Today I could smell something rotting. Found a production hive will a pile of bees outside and shaking bees on the landing board. Crud. On getting into hive the tops of frames were covered with shaking bees. In two weeks time a packed 100k strong hive was crashing hard. Dismantled, cleaned the bottom board, used the bee brush to sweep off the shaking bees on the top of each box as I put it back together and moved it a few feet back from where it was.

On the ride home I've decided to go back later this week and see if the queen survived the viral load. I doubt it. Likely I will shake the bees off everything and pull the hive so it doesn't act as a plague ship once the flow is gone. If there was a quick and easy way to euthanize that hive I would. I am a little bummed about the hive loss but I am very worried about the bee paralysis spreading to the entire apiary.

I do random mite checks throughout the yard during the season. I beleive this one was checked at the end of June with one mite in 300 bees washed. Was a year old Strachen New World Carni queen heading up that colony.

Last edited:
One of the bee paralysis virus. Likely- chronic bee paralysis. Shaking and not moving much or aimlessly. Sometimes some of the bees are hairless but I didn't observe that. Usually you see a few and it grows but this was an explosion of bees sick and infecting the healthy ones in under two weeks. All looked great two weekends ago.

One of the bee paralysis virus. Likely- chronic bee paralysis. Shaking and not moving much or aimlessly. Sometimes some of the bees are hairless but I didn't observe that. Usually you see a few and it grows but this was an explosion of bees sick and infecting the healthy ones in under two weeks. All looked great two weekends ago.
Wow. I have never heard of this virus. Carried by varroa mites?

They are currently in a 5 frame nuc.
I am in PA, zone 6b.

They were place in one box, which they out grew to the point some were clustering on the outside of the box. I added the second box a few weeks ago and now they are all back inside.

I will have to wait until Sunday to check the second box and perhaps take some pictures.
It took awhile but I finally have pictures and video of my amateur hive setup.

The hives are coated with 3 applications of 100% tung oil. So, I am hoping that will last for a few years since I couldn't get the boxes dipped in wax.

Video of my two bee hives

1693784249531.png

Wow. I have never heard of this virus. Carried by varroa mites?
No, but some articles say it is. If bees immune system is weakened by a high mite count they become more susceptible to CBPV. Ive only seen it in a few hives over the years, typically it just goes away on its own with a pollen/nectar flow or re queening. I haven't lost a hive from it.

https://www.beeculture.com/chronic-bee-paralysis-virus-cbpv/
https://www.honeybeesuite.com/chronic-bee-paralysis-virus/

I lost one resource hive from not inspecting (on the right). With all the rain this year I didnt inspect enough and the hive didnt successfully requeen after swarming. It happens, but typically I catch it early. Its neighboring hive will put it back in business next spring
View attachment 3630540
True sisters!
View attachment 3630541
Matching outfit of "B" Fashion "T" shirt and shorts! Second pic looks like a Nuk Nuclear Explosion, gotta love it!

I have a question for the more experienced beeks here.

We have one hive. We're in the middle of goldenrod, and the girls are very busy! We have double deeps, then a queen excluder, and a medium on top. Here's a picture of the middle frame out of the medium.
IMG_4603.JPG

We could see all the frames have a lot of activity.

We didn't see any capped honey. Do we just need to give them some time? Someone at our bee club meeting said that since this is a first year hive, we should not have put that super on. We're not planning to take any honey. Well, maybe a small taste.
IMG_4606.JPG

This is the bottom of the inner cover. Is the burr comb a concern?

Back
Top Bottom