The Honey Factory

Check your state laws. Here a permit is required to keep bees. The hobbyist permit is free and allows a person to keep up to 5 hives.

Over 5 hives requires a commercial permit for a specific location. If you are going to be intruding on an area that already has a commercial permit, your application will likely be denied.
that is somewhat like what we have in my province,

we register with the province but there more worried about where you get your bees from, then we tell them every year through an online system how many hives we have or lost and that seems to be it.

Check your state laws. Here a permit is required to keep bees. The hobbyist permit is free and allows a person to keep up to 5 hives.

Over 5 hives requires a commercial permit for a specific location. If you are going to be intruding on an area that already has a commercial permit, your application will likely be denied.
It looks like there are regulations of how the honey has to be labeled, there is a code of penalty for adulteration of honey and bee by-products and a simple apiary registration form. Registration is free. Found nothing about commercial permits...

that is somewhat like what we have in my province,

we register with the province but there more worried about where you get your bees from, then we tell them every year through an online system how many hives we have or lost and that seems to be it.
Similar here: They care a lot about the hive-health, they even come out and do inspections together with you. - Not sure if that is for free, but i found no price-list.

there can be too many bees in an area, where am located my mentor said he would put around 60 hives in my location with no worry of over harvesting the nectar and pollen in area.
I am not really sure if there are good nectar sources in the area. Parts of my land is overgrown with automn-olives, they emit a crazy sweet smell but i don't know how much nectar they produce. The ducks love to pick the berries and the roots prevent my hill from sliding down with me. I know the Tulip-Poplars produce nectar by the buckets, but they don't produce flowers every year. Other than that... :confused:
That;'s why i want to introduce sunchokes this year.

It looks like there are regulations of how the honey has to be labeled, there is a code of penalty for adulteration of honey and bee by-products and a simple apiary registration form. Registration is free. Found nothing about commercial permits...
Every state has their own regs.

Parts of my land is overgrown with automn-olives, they emit a crazy sweet smell but i don't know how much nectar they produce.
If they are anything like the Russian Olives here, the bees make a dark honey from them and the nectar flow is substantial. It is a later bloom.

I am not really sure if there are good nectar sources in the area. Parts of my land is overgrown with automn-olives, they emit a crazy sweet smell but i don't know how much nectar they produce. The ducks love to pick the berries and the roots prevent my hill from sliding down with me. I know the Tulip-Poplars produce nectar by the buckets, but they don't produce flowers every year. Other than that... :confused:
That;'s why i want to introduce sunchokes this year.
not quite sure what a autumn-olive is. but if it produces a berry am sure it will be good for them. ours have raspberries, blue berries and saskatoon berries (all wild) and we planted a bunch of haskaps, apples and planning on a few plum trees this year for them.

i too have looked into planting sunchokes for the bees as well, only issue was finding them in time for sale up here in Canada.

Back
Top Bottom