The Honey Factory

Don't make a candy board. You are warm enough to be feeding 1:1 syrup. Hot tap water and sugar, shake well and let sit for 5 minutes. Voila! Syrup. Old milk jugs and a funnel. Pour in 4 lbs bag of sugar and add the hot tap water. Fill 3/4 way to shake well then top it off.
It's recommended to boil the water for one minute to gas off any chlorine if you have chlorinated water.

For those who have swarm traps.... What's your opinion of LGO for lure?
It doesnt hurt to put it in your traps. Bees are attracted to it. Put a few drops on the end of a cotton swab and wipe a little on the entrance, then place it on the bottom of the trap. You dont want to overdue it. Old brood comb works best. You can also dissolve propolis in alcohol and wipe some of it on the inside of the trap. Slum gum (the leftovers from rendering wax) is also very good at attracting scouts. Swarm Commander is excellent too.

It doesnt hurt to put it in your traps. Bees are attracted to it. Put a few drops on the end of a cotton swab and wipe a little on the entrance, then place it on the bottom of the trap. You dont want to overdue it. Old brood comb works best. You can also dissolve propolis in alcohol and wipe some of it on the inside of the trap. Slum gum (the leftovers from rendering wax) is also very good at attracting scouts. Swarm Commander is excellent t
For those who have swarm traps.... What's your opinion of LGO for lure?
Powerful attractant, a drop on each end of a Q-Tip will do the trick. LorAnn Oils has Natural Food Grade and other types of natural oils that are used by Keepers ie: Tea Tree Oil which is used as a hedge against Nosema, used in sugar bricks if feeding is needed in winter.

Don't make a candy board. You are warm enough to be feeding 1:1 syrup. Hot tap water and sugar, shake well and let sit for 5 minutes. Voila! Syrup. Old milk jugs and a funnel. Pour in 4 lbs bag of sugar and add the hot tap water. Fill 3/4 way to shake well then top it off.
Yeah, i fell asleep yesterday evening, so no candy board. But i cooked up a batch of 1:1 sugar syrup for them. Now i need to wade through the mud and put the feeder back. They have been pretty busy with the pollen patty so far.

Back
Top Bottom