The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

We lost this beautiful baby today to either a coyote or a fox...it is a very devastating loss. She was the most beautifully marked up splash I had ever seen...she turned 21 weeks yesterday.
So sorry for your loss. What a beautiful girl!
hugs.gif

Rebel Yell, please don't kill me. I'm a new guy JUST trying to fine out some info. OK? Double Barred Lemon Orpingtons, are they American or are they English?

I only ask because I love the color.
The size of these basketball Blacks and Buffs and Blues, I love those to.
How can I make a basketball Double Barred Lemon Orp?
The lemons I have seen just look more of the American type to me, & again this is just my opinion & I could not even start to tell you how or what to breed to get the English type in them, but I would think probably a nice English buff, Dragon Lady can give you more info on that as I am a BBS man myself.

yes we show them, extra fluffy or not. If the judge does not like them you dont get a ribbon, but so what. you had fun right? I agree with what Roger said earlier, I have the imported birds because thats the type I wanted. I love them. the American birds have gotten to small and to common for me.

Dragon Lady would you happen to have any pictures of what you consider overdone cochin type? just curious as I dont really see very many pictures of the birds winning in England. the judges here need to get over it and stop arguing about how much fluff is wrong or right. I always did think think that maybe they should just have a variety within the breed itself so the fluff argument could get dropped. the very reason I ended up with English imports, fluff that covers the legs
smile.png
my preference.
Have you seen JOHNN's photos of Bela, and her mother, and auntie ? Those are English Orps living on the moors, and functioning very well. They do not have fluff to the ground.If they did they would mire down in all the mud. Cochins , who have foot feathering and hanging fluff, are classed as ornamental birds. Orps are supposed to be utility birds, bred for eggs and meat.

You can go to Google and see many UK Orp show birds. I doubt that they would be able to function with those extreme skirts. For one thing, those skirts would stay wet living out, and not provide a warm , dry place for chicks. That's why BOTH our standards call for clean legs, and medium fluff. Don't forget that Orps are classified as a heritage breed too, and must be able to function. I too love the look of the fluff, but I realize just how impractical it is for a utility bird. Having lived in England for a couple of years, I am very familiar with English mud.

Back
Top Bottom