The Old Folks Home

Hope everyone had a great 4th. I woke up not feeling up to par. Upset stomach and general urpy feeling :sick. DH had the symptoms a few days earlier so I figured it was just a upper GI bug making its rounds. I took it easy most of the day. It was muggy and too hot to do much outside anyway. After dinner I fell asleep on the sofa and woke up an hour later feeling about 80% better. So DH and I went out after sun set and set off our 'fireworks' as we didn't make it into town to buy them this year as planned. Our fireworks this year was setting off my miniature cannon that shoots 1 inch ball bearings. It's a hoot.

Meanwhile. I have three eggs in the Brinsea that I just can't coax the chicks out of. One is a OEGB over a BO hen egg and the other 2 are OEGBs.I really thought the OEGB/BO would hatch on the 3rd. Nope. Everything looks good to go. I've been candling them trying to get a handle on their developement. Today when I turned on the overhead light above the incubator to check the eggs I saw the OEGB/BO egg jerk in response. I'm to the point where I'm putting my mouth close to the incubator and yelling "HATCH! NOW!" at them. I was hoping that they would hatch so I could graft them back to my Speckled Sussex hen and her three chicks who are now 4 days old. My window of opportunity is slowly slipping away.

I've never tried to graft longer than a chick with a 24 hour gap in hatching. Anybody care to share their experiences? How big of a gap is a 'safe' zone for grafting chicks back to the mother?

Last edited:
My allergies have been killing my head daily headaches and just not feeling up to par.
I did go out and feed the rabbits. It finally dried out some. lol
I ordered some new tomato seeds from Berlin Amish seed company in Ohio (for organic seeds).
Mountain Pride a 6 oz. tomato that is resistant to cracking and
Mountain Merit resistant to blight with 10-11 oz tomatoes for late season.
Looking forward to trying some new varieties.

My allergies have been killing my head daily headaches and just not feeling up to par.
I did go out and feed the rabbits. It finally dried out some. lol
I ordered some new tomato seeds from Berlin Amish seed company in Ohio (for organic seeds).
Mountain Pride a 6 oz. tomato that is resistant to cracking and
Mountain Merit resistant to blight with 10-11 oz tomatoes for late season.
Looking forward to trying some new varieties.
Keep us posted on the Tomatoes!

I hope the allergies get better soon too

Allergies suck this year. I was tested out in 1983 and and came up allergic to just about everything EXCEPT dogs. I'm even allergic to chicken feathers. HA! That's why God made Benedryl, Flonase, Singulaire and Zyrtec. When we lived in IL the pollen from the corn and soybeans just made me miserable, DH also. Fortunately the move to Missouri got us away from the bean and corn pollen and right into tree and weed pollen. Won't even talk about the chicken dander, LOL..

Take care, Chicka. Feel better soon.

My stomach must be back to what passes for normal for me. I'm eating a big pepperoni pizza. Thanks for the well wishes.

Eggs still haven't hatched.:barnie:duc

Anybody care to share their experiences? How big of a gap is a 'safe' zone for grafting chicks back to the mother?
Insanely variable. Some broodies will take any chick at any time.... some broody will kill the chick as soon as it hatches.

Achem.

You will have to just try and see.

A friend sent DH this post today. Thought y'all would get a kick out of it. I did.

Great mental exercise for the "older" crowd.

Which of the following names are you familiar with?
1. Monica Lewinsky
2. Spiro Agnew
3. Benito Mussolini
4. Adolf Hitler
5. Jorge Bergoglio
6. Alfonse Capone
7. Vladimir Putin
8. Linda Lovelace
9. Saddam Hussein
10. Tiger Woods

You had trouble with #5, didn't you?

You know all the liars, criminals, adulterers, murderers,
thieves, s**s and cheaters, but you don't know the Pope?

Lovely, just lovely -- sometimes I worry about you

Allergies suck this year. I was tested out in 1983 and and came up allergic to just about everything EXCEPT dogs. I'm even allergic to chicken feathers. HA! That's why God made Benedryl, Flonase, Singulaire and Zyrtec. When we lived in IL the pollen from the corn and soybeans just made me miserable, DH also. Fortunately the move to Missouri got us away from the bean and corn pollen and right into tree and weed pollen. Won't even talk about the chicken dander, LOL..

Take care, Chicka. Feel better soon.

My stomach must be back to what passes for normal for me. I'm eating a big pepperoni pizza. Thanks for the well wishes.

Eggs still haven't hatched.:barnie:duc
My Oldest was tested for allergies and is allergic to everything but dogs and cats. She had immunotherapy injections for three years which was very helpful!

Back
Top Bottom