The Old Folks Home

My Oldest was tested for allergies and is allergic to everything but dogs and cats. She had immunotherapy injections for three years which was very helpful!

I went that route but I couldn't tolerate the serum. I'd have horrible allergy attacks after I had my weekly injections. I finally gave up on them and learned to rely on antihistamines and avoidence to deal with my allergies. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. My doctor told me that I'd be a perfect canidate for sinus surgery but even that would only give me about 4-5 years before it would have to be redone. My husband wound up having to have the same surgery that was suggested to me and his lasted less than a year. Nope, no thanks. Neither one of us will go that route whether for the first time or a repeat performance.

Ronott1, I'm hoping my speckled Sussex hen will step up to the plate. The other hen with chicks, a Welsummer, is a second time broody and a little more 'peckish' than the SS who is just a sweet little hen with the chicks and allows her three to hang out with the Welsummer's three chicks without fussing or pecking at the slightly older chicks.

I thought I had a round about idea as to when these chicks would hatch. I have to admit there was a lot going on, DH having three OP skin cancer proceedures in a 3.5 week period of time the main distraction. I let the broody hens out to do their thing once a day after I thought the other hens were done laying, then went back later and locked them back up. Three or four days passed without me doing an egg count and when I did it was an 'oh, crap' moment because there were three extra eggs there and I had no idea when they appeared or in what order. Egg #1 which I thought was going to hatch 3 days ago is candling out at day 19 or greater as of today. The other two have a day or two left before they hit day 19. I'm only turning the two OEGB eggs three times a day now and not turning #1 at all and I'm keeping the humidity at 50 to 60% in case egg #1 decides to pip. I have them situated in the Brinsea so I can shine a flashlight into the air cell and look for an internal pip without having to touch them.

I HATE waiting!

I went that route but I couldn't tolerate the serum. I'd have horrible allergy attacks after I had my weekly injections. I finally gave up on them and learned to rely on antihistamines and avoidence to deal with my allergies. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. My doctor told me that I'd be a perfect canidate for sinus surgery but even that would only give me about 4-5 years before it would have to be redone. My husband wound up having to have the same surgery that was suggested to me and his lasted less than a year. Nope, no thanks. Neither one of us will go that route whether for the first time or a repeat performance.

Ronott1, I'm hoping my speckled Sussex hen will step up to the plate. The other hen with chicks, a Welsummer, is a second time broody and a little more 'peckish' than the SS who is just a sweet little hen with the chicks and allows her three to hang out with the Welsummer's three chicks without fussing or pecking at the slightly older chicks.

I thought I had a round about idea as to when these chicks would hatch. I have to admit there was a lot going on, DH having three OP skin cancer proceedures in a 3.5 week period of time the main distraction. I let the broody hens out to do their thing once a day after I thought the other hens were done laying, then went back later and locked them back up. Three or four days passed without me doing an egg count and when I did it was an 'oh, crap' moment because there were three extra eggs there and I had no idea when they appeared or in what order. Egg #1 which I thought was going to hatch 3 days ago is candling out at day 19 or greater as of today. The other two have a day or two left before they hit day 19. I'm only turning the two OEGB eggs three times a day now and not turning #1 at all and I'm keeping the humidity at 50 to 60% in case egg #1 decides to pip. I have them situated in the Brinsea so I can shine a flashlight into the air cell and look for an internal pip without having to touch them.

I HATE waiting!
I hope you get some to hatch!

You just reminded be to check the chicks I have set for hatching in the Genesis....No pips yet!

Thanks, Chicka. I'm hoping they will hatch out simply because they are tired of me shining the flashlight at them every time I walk by the Brinsea.

To make matters worse, when I moved the last broody and her chicks out to the nursery pen, I pointed a finger at the hens and told them no more broodies for a while.

Naturally one went broody the next day and is now sitting on 7 eggs. My poor husband moaned when I told him the news but then I told him that the hen was one of my standard girls and since I didn't know how long any of them were going to walk on this earth if they wanted to be a mom, by golly they were going to be mom's.

This athiest knew the pope. I also know that Ratslinger (something like that, but I prefer my name) was the previous pope.

Got the last of the strawberries from the organic farm down the road and made one batch of jam today. Glad I didn't miss that milestone!

Are you sure you're old enough to hang out here?:lau

That was the only one I didn't get.

Back
Top Bottom