The Old Folks Home

Same here...allergic to everything under the sun apparently. How is one allergic to lettuce? :lau I did the immunotherapy and testing for several years; first shots and then the sublingual drops. The last time I took the test...it was summer when my allergies are the worst. That didn't work out too well. I started feeling ill almost as soon as I left the office and it just continued to get worse. I was so sick by the time I got home (3 hour drive) I didn't care if I lived or died. I spent a few days in bed. I never went back. I think my doctor has passed. I've done the best once I figured out my triggers and medicate with allergy meds accordingly.

I did learn a few really important things through immunotherapy. I got sick right after I married and moved here and was sick for years; just feeling terrible and the docs couldn't figure out my bladder. I felt like I had forks scraping the walls of my bladder 100% of the time. I spent years going to the bathroom 8-10 times a night...same frequency through the day. Looking back I don't know how I got anything done...lol. It eventually lessened and mostly went away. The first year I went for testing, one of the injections gave me the same feeling and pain as I had once had. It was an "a ha" moment. I'm assuming something different in this area or perhaps something in the house we built didn't agree with me.

I also found out from the nurses doing the needles how heat and cold can exacerbate allergies. Cold is wonderful...but heat is a major one for me.
Kids need to lick garbage cans and swim in polluted water to harden their immune system young like George Carlin said, never get sick and no allergies.
That bladder thing sounds like what a truck driver that delivers milk were I work went through. They put him on a medication and he had to cut certain foods out of his diet.
Don't know how that worked out for him driving truck and he also goes on long group rides on his Harley, Sturgis, Daytona etc.

Howdy, Latestarter! I appreciate you thinking of me. I am doing great, just been super busy lately. I took leave from work to take care of my Dad in his final weeks, his funeral was April 27. After taking care of his belongings and such, we took a family vacation to the beach and when we returned, I immediately had to work on our rental house as the occupants left while I was planning the funeral (three months before the end of the lease.) I am also working on buying another house that my son will take over as soon as he finishes school and is able to get a full time job and a loan to buy me out of it. We are still trying to get everything done for closing, but that will (hopefully) be next week. OH, and I started a new job, and went to the beach for almost a week with my best friend. Somebody told me that I retired on May 12th, but I think they lied.

Last edited:
Kids need to lick garbage cans and swim in polluted water to harden their immune system young like George Carlin said, never get sick and no allergies.
That bladder thing sounds like what a truck driver that delivers milk were I work went through. They put him on a medication and he had to cut certain foods out of his diet.
Don't know how that worked out for him driving truck and he also goes on long group rides on his Harley, Sturgis, Daytona etc.
But I blow that whole idea out of the water. I spent my kid years on the farm, in the barn...even sleeping in the pig troughs with the pigs all around me. (Oh yes, they've got pics...lmbo!) I was into everything, everywhere...wild bird nests, catching snakes (pics there too) and we didn't have a real bathroom until I was in grade 4. We had an outhouse. I'm pretty sure I never washed my hands after breaking chickens' legs (terrible I know) because I was too young to know NOT to break chicken legs and probably too young to wash my hands. I remember being young at home and asking why we couldn't just lick our plates clean and put them back in the cupboard! :lau :sick

Personally, I think it has more to do with heredity. My uncle always had bad allergies. I know now I was allergic to grass...and Christmas trees, but the rest never showed up until later. My sister in her 30s has awful allergies, like me but also more drug allergies like our mother had. My Gran started allergies in her 70s.

Our son showed up with allergies fairly young and is showing more all the time...exactly the same as I show.:( He spent lots of time outside, putting boots on the dog, spending days outside with his Dad getting into who knows what. As a baby I hauled him around in all the farm equipment because I was working. He spent weeks in the combine playing on the floor while I combined, he was exposed to all types of dusts. He was into everything. I feel really bad...he gets nauseous like me. He got nauseous just a couple nights ago and I recognize it...so I told him to take Chlortriplon. I can recognize things he doesn't pick up on because I'm the same. :(

It makes me laugh when I bed the chickens with shavings. I do it at the end of the day if I can...because they make me hurt just like I did when Grandma had to chuck the Christmas tree out in the middle of the night when I was a little kid. Makes me feel like it was yesterday. Of course they're pine shavings...just like the tree we had. Blows my mind that it still affects me the same way, 40 years later!

I can't remember if it was the inhalants, or the food allergies that affected the bladder feeling.

Howdy, Latestarter! I appreciate you thinking of me. I am doing great, just been super busy lately. I took leave from work to take care of my Dad in his final weeks, his funeral was April 27. After taking care of his belongings and such, we took a family vacation to the beach and when we returned, I immediately had to work on our rental house as the occupants left while I was planning the funeral (three months before the end of the lease.) I am also working on buying another house that my son will take over as soon as he finishes school and is able to get a full time job and a loan to buy me out of it. We are still trying to get everything done for closing, but that will (hopefully) be next week. OH, and I started a new job, and went to the beach for almost a week with my best friend. Somebody told me that I retired on May 12th, but I think they lied.
Wow...you've been incredibly busy! I'm so sorry to hear about your father:hugs
There are so many things to deal with an estate and you've had so many other things going on. :th

Typically the garbage disposal is under the sink vice on the septic tank :eek: Why would you prefer to not have &/or use the septic system? I guess a tree or bush in the great outdoors is workable, but in town, what about the neighbors? :lau :oops:
sink drains to the septic..... The organic material that goes into the disposal is Not digested only chopped so it takes longer to handle the waste in the septic tank.

I scrape plates and pots into containers that are already being thrown away... No grease or oil in any quantities go down the drain. This is good for both your city lines and your septic....

because it eventually coats the walls of the pipe and thickens and hardens much like dipping a candle. Any one who has ever had to clean old harden greas will attest its more like glue than grease....

and using hot water down the drains only works till the drain lines suck the heat out of the water...

deb

Wow I know BF and I work harder since retire :wee:old
Same here, penny. In fact, I just told DH that very same thing a few days ago.

No pips here as of yet. I'm still shining the flashlight through the canopy at the air cells and yelling at them. Seems like they would get tired of it and just hatch and be done with it to get away from me irritating them.

Back
Top Bottom