The Old Folks Home

Well, I just did an emergency c-section on my #1 egg. I saw what looked like an internal pip but when I picked the egg up the chick had externally pipped at the mid section of the egg near the wrong end. I could hear weak peeps so I went to work, enlarged the hole and could see a tiny beak mid egg. The thick membrane was white but there was some blood loss from the inner membrane. In for a penny in for a pound. Baby was breathing slowly and cheeping softly on occasion if I clucked at it but wasn't making any effort to free itself. I went ahead and removed the egg and it still wasn't trying to free itself so I got it out of the membrane which was very thick considering the egg shell was thin and brittle (and I feed oyster shell to my hens so whatzup with that?)

Baby is alive. I just went out and checked on it. It's breathing regularly, opening and closing its beak but it hasn't opened its eyes yet. I hope I got it out in time. I haven't touched the eggs since yesterday and there was no pips showing then. Yolk sack is completely absorbed but the umbilicus is still attached to the membrane. I just left it.

Hoping for the best. This is the second mal-presentation with this clutch of eggs. The first was dead in the shell. It's also the first clutch of eggs from a broody hen that has had mal-presentations with the chicks.

The trick with either recipe is to either mix up the dough either the night before of in the morning and let it raise and then fall. That will make it taste like the pizzeria dough.

Other tips:
Each cup of water will make an 18 inch or so pizza
1 tsp of salt per cup of water
1pck or about 3\4 tsp of yeast per cup of water
Oil is more of a preference but add a bit more per cup of water
Sugar is optional--more will make the crust brown more
Flour is something that I do not actually measure. I add it until the dough is the correct consistency

Thanks did not have a tried true one in my books so this is a keeper for me also..
@Wisher1000 I did not get to say godspeed for your Father few months back it was my Ma.... I hated watching her decline not be able to alter or understand why

@Wisher1000 and Penny 1960, it's so hard to say goodbye to our parents no matter how old or sick that they are, they are still mom and dad and we are never ready to say that last farewell.

Penny, I remember when your mom died. It was the same with me. I had watched my mom decline mentally first then physically over the course of almost 10 years. I think by the time she passed I was numb having mourned what I knew was inevitable for her for well over a year. It's been almost 20 years now since I lost her and 11 years since dad passed. Sometimes it seems like yesterday and other days like it's been forever.

Baby is breathing normally but seems very tired. Can't say I blame it. I hope I did the right thing busting it out. It was my first assisted hatching and the way I see it it was a no win scenario either way. At least this way it has a chance.

Well, I just did an emergency c-section on my #1 egg. I saw what looked like an internal pip but when I picked the egg up the chick had externally pipped at the mid section of the egg near the wrong end. I could hear weak peeps so I went to work, enlarged the hole and could see a tiny beak mid egg. The thick membrane was white but there was some blood loss from the inner membrane. In for a penny in for a pound. Baby was breathing slowly and cheeping softly on occasion if I clucked at it but wasn't making any effort to free itself. I went ahead and removed the egg and it still wasn't trying to free itself so I got it out of the membrane which was very thick considering the egg shell was thin and brittle (and I feed oyster shell to my hens so whatzup with that?)

Baby is alive. I just went out and checked on it. It's breathing regularly, opening and closing its beak but it hasn't opened its eyes yet. I hope I got it out in time. I haven't touched the eggs since yesterday and there was no pips showing then. Yolk sack is completely absorbed but the umbilicus is still attached to the membrane. I just left it.

Hoping for the best. This is the second mal-presentation with this clutch of eggs. The first was dead in the shell. It's also the first clutch of eggs from a broody hen that has had mal-presentations with the chicks.
Shell hardness has a lot to do with genetics. Also, the bigger the egg the thinner the shell can be.

I hope the chick makes it!

Shell hardness has a lot to do with genetics. Also, the bigger the egg the thinner the shell can be.

I hope the chick makes it!

Thanks, me too. So far it is holding its own. Not really sitting up and taking notice and it's only cracked an eye but it is occasionally peeping and moving. Time will tell. It seems so very tired.

This was a Buff O egg. Medium sized. All my BO hens are over a year old now but I have that stinking Marek's thing hanging over my coop so I'm wondering if shell quality along with membrane thickness has anything to do with MD in the Buffs.

I really wasn't intending to hatch out any more Buff O eggs due to the Marek's but this is one of the eggs that got slipped in under the radar when DH was having skin cancer surgery and I was otherwise not paying attention to who was sneaking into the broody nest when the broody was out on break and my back was turned.:he Bad chicken momma Bad girl!

Thanks, me too. So far it is holding its own. Not really sitting up and taking notice and it's only cracked an eye but it is occasionally peeping and moving. Time will tell. It seems so very tired.

This was a Buff O egg. Medium sized. All my BO hens are over a year old now but I have that stinking Marek's thing hanging over my coop so I'm wondering if shell quality along with membrane thickness has anything to do with MD in the Buffs.

I really wasn't intending to hatch out any more Buff O eggs due to the Marek's but this is one of the eggs that got slipped in under the radar when DH was having skin cancer surgery and I was otherwise not paying attention to who was sneaking into the broody nest when the broody was out on break and my back was turned.:he Bad chicken momma Bad girl!
There are some viruses that will mess up egg shells. MG is one it makes weird lines on the eggs--I do not know about shell thickness\hardness. I suppose fighting an illness can make the shells weaker.

You can use this:

View attachment 1066707

But you still have to have the Super Sucker come out every 7 years or so to drain the tank.

My parents put something similar in theirs once a year or so and the house has been standing longer than I have been alive (house is probably 35 or so) and it's never had a septic issue or needed to be pumped. Dad won't let anyone use the good toilet paper, and they don't have a dishwasher or garbage disposal, but I HAVE seen half a slice of pizza in the dish water just floating around before... so... I would say some food has gotten down the pipes....

We use stuff like Ron showed. We get the tank at each house cleaned out yearly. We've went as long as 2 years. We do have a dishwashers but no food goes down. We do use the good toilet paper...lol. Probably makes a difference? It would be disastrous if it ever spilled over into the clean water side of the tank in the winter. That would cause "major" issues for us here.

Last edited:
No MG that I know of, at least nobody dropping dead from any respiratory infections. No crusting eyes, no purulent discharges. The worst they have is an occasional sneeze so I'm not suspecting MG although I do have a bantam that can lay some pretty weirdly striated patterns on her eggs but she is as healthy as a young horse.

Back
Top Bottom