The Old Folks Home

No. The kilns are for lampworking (glass bead manufacturing/pic attached), glass slumping and metal clay work.
I tried ceramics, but I do not have the patience for it and tend to force my clay on the wheel with sad/odd results.

View attachment 1173878
I used to create lots of ceramic pieces. It was great fun. But i got too depressed and quit. Glad you can enjoy your hobby.

chickisoup, years ago, when I met current Dh, he had two cats of his own, so he was used to litter box duty. DD #3 was working as a vet tech. Someone had dumped a litter of kittens on their doorstep, so she adopted one of them. Within a month, she could not take care of it, so she gave it to her sister, DD #2. Within a month, DD #2 moved in with me, and Dh. DD #2 had all the food, food bowls, toys, litter box etc., and tried keeping the kitten in the room. Oh, the kitten would not drink water from a bowl. She would jump on the bathroom sink, and drink from the tap. Between her job, and spending time with her boyfriend, DD was rarely home, and only sleeping at our place. I began letting the kitten out of the room when DD would go to work.

From the moment the cat and I met, she knew she was mine. I knew it too, but no one else did, and I couldn't just take my daughter's kitten away from her. In a couple months, DD #2 got her own place, and moved, taking her kitten. I told her to be honest with herself, and if she found she had no time for the kitten, to bring it back to me. A few weeks later, she called. She was rarely home, the kitten was miserable, and had gotten very destructive. She gave me the kitten. When she brought the kitten back to me, Emma (the kitten) was so happy to see me, and to be back. When DD got ready to leave, she wanted to say bye to the kitten. When she reached for Emma, the kitten took off, and hid under the bed. For about a year, anytime DD would come over, Emma would hide from her. It took quite awhile for Emma to realize that DD was never going to take her away. We bought a pet fountain for the cats, so Emma could drink from running water.

When I was going through chemo, they asked me about my animals. Like you, I was not allowed to clean the litter box. It didn't really matter, since Dh did it most of the time anyway. When Emma returned, she had her own litter box, but in a very short time, she began using the one the other two cats were using. I went to Home Depot, and got one of the black, square, plastic containers they use for mixing concrete. They're the perfect size for a multi cat family. Funny thing, I was allowed to tend the chickens, and clean the coop, but not the cat box. Dh still cleans the cat box.
What a great Story!

Gotta love a feisty kitten

No. The kilns are for lampworking (glass bead manufacturing/pic attached), glass slumping and metal clay work.
I tried ceramics, but I do not have the patience for it and tend to force my clay on the wheel with sad/odd results.

View attachment 1173878
Looks nice to me!

from Getaclue;
When I was going through chemo, they asked me about my animals. Like you, I was not allowed to clean the litter box. It didn't really matter, since Dh did it most of the time anyway. When Emma returned, she had her own litter box, but in a very short time, she began using the one the other two cats were using. I went to Home Depot, and got one of the black, square, plastic containers they use for mixing concrete. They're the perfect size for a multi cat family. Funny thing, I was allowed to tend the chickens, and clean the coop, but not the cat box. Dh still cleans the cat box.[/QUOTE]

Same here about the chickens. I actually didn't have mine (again) at the time I was diagnosed but had been working on my "reformed city guy" about them for a while. He caved when I finally convinced him it would give me something else to focus on in the morning besides the lousy side effects from the chemo drugs. He said ok IF the dr says it's ok. Surprise! DH was scrambling to drag one of his hunting shacks out of the woods so we could have it converted by spring :clap

Last edited:
Same here about the chickens. I actually didn't have mine (again) at the time I was diagnosed but had been working on my "reformed city guy" about them for a while. He caved when I finally convinced him it would give me something else to focus on in the morning besides the lousy side effects from the chemo drugs. He said ok IF the dr says it's ok. Surprise! DH was scrambling to drag one of his hunting shacks out of the woods so we could have it converted by spring :clap
:goodpost:

Dr.s say chickens are fine for those with suppressed immune systems and now we get blasted by poorly thought out Facebook stuff.

Chickens have lived with humans longer than any domesticated animal. How ever did we survive for millennia?

As you know, Florida gets hit with some pretty good storms, and hurricanes, so it's not unusual to be without power for up to 3 weeks. At my old house, I had no backup generator, so without power, water was an issue. We put in 3 of these. We got them one at a time, with income tax return money. That ensured that I had 300 gallons of good water, even if the power went out.
http://www.aquascience.net/amtrol-well-x-trol-119-gallon-water-system-pressure-tank-wx-350

Now, in our new home, I'm looking at this type, since they are more readily available here, at a good price. They use them a lot here for orange juice. Used ones go for about $100.00. I thought about hooking it into the line going to the coop. That way the water would be used, and replaced with fresh water, on a steady basis, so it doesn't stagnate.
View attachment 1173762
We have two of those tanks. We keep one sitting on a small trailer and use it for watering gardens etc. and a backup for when we lose power or if some idiot from the city sets fire to the state land that surrounds us (it's happened :mad: ). The tanks aren't much good for in winter tho. We've got that problem solved too. We have two portable generators, a water heater in the house that holds 35 gallons and if all else fails a sand point well that is normally run by an electric pump but can be easily converted to our hand pump. Heat no problem either. Fireplace of course and a propane cookstove. We've never lost power for more than a few days and those times always happened in either the late fall or early spring snow/ice storms so cold wasn't a serious issue.

:goodpost:

Dr.s say chickens are fine for those with suppressed immune systems and now we get blasted by poorly thought out Facebook stuff.

Chickens have lived with humans longer than any domesticated animal. How ever did we survive for millennia?

Funny they say my immune was never strong had measles three times verified by Dr.
they say the graves is auto immune never been sick by my birds clean litter boxes twice daily hey took the last 10 minutes to go through the posts here :wee

Back
Top Bottom