The Old Folks Home

@CapricornFarm, how are you anchoring your tarps? I've had a devil of a time with the one that I'm using as a shelter for my standard chickens. I have it stretched between my shed conversion and my portable coop and anchored at the center grommets by a wood fence post on one end and a t-post at the other so that it slopes and rain doesn't pool on it. Well, in spite of having it rigged as tight as I can get it, it tore a grommet out a few days ago when we had some 30+ mph wind gusts.

Have you noticed any problems with wind rippling or getting under your tarps?
Not yet and it has been very windy. But i heard if you anchor tarps with bungee cords they last better. I need to get to the store and pick some up. The other alternative that i have heard suggested is putting lattice work over the tarps to sandwich them.
Let me know how it works out for you. I need to buy more tarps too. I want to order some clear ones.

Bungee cords. Hmmm might be worth a try. Right now I rigged a rope over the middle, tied it to the wood post and then tied the other end low on the t-post so the tarp has a deep V on the t-post end that will allow me access to the coop and the feeder and still drain the rain away from the coop. I'm sure it looks bizarre and the Amish are driving by saying 'what's that crazy English lady doing with that tarp?" Hey, if it works, who cares!

Where are you finding clear tarps?

Bungee cords. Hmmm might be worth a try. Right now I rigged a rope over the middle, tied it to the wood post and then tied the other end low on the t-post so the tarp has a deep V on the t-post end that will allow me access to the coop and the feeder and still drain the rain away from the coop. I'm sure it looks bizarre and the Amish are driving by saying 'what's that crazy English lady doing with that tarp?" Hey, if it works, who cares!

Where are you finding clear tarps?
I saw a post on here somewhere about an online company, um like Tarps something. I will let you know if i see it. I think they advertise with BYC. Even has them on sale.

Cap here are the bungee cords they sell them on Amazon.
bungee cords shopping.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G7Q20...t=&hvlocphy=9010691&hvtargid=pla-274922635589

Congrats Penny it looks really nice!
Great find.

Cap your coop is really looking nice.
Beekissed has some real nice hoop coop pics on here. She used tarps for the roof I think. She could open the sides in nice weather.
We used tarps for the roof of our pens but tree limbs and winds tore them up.
I have cut back the trees around the coop and will do more. I chose clear panels for the roof because i wanted to let in light. I do plan to open up the sides in summer. I plan to put lattice over the tarps if i have issues with ripping. The woods around the coop do cut back some on the wind.

Back
Top Bottom