The Old Folks Home

Thank you for sharing this. I've got a workshop scheduled for my local cemetery in early June.

Noreaster supposed to miss us today.

So grateful for that.
Not sure how I feel about that story, read some other articles on it and part of the book/story, there's a YouTube vid also.
I couldn't even sleep after reading it.

No more snow here either.

Good morning everyone :hugs
271209-Its-Thursday-Its-A-Blessing-To-Be-Alive.jpg

Good morning, Misty and all you old and not so old folks!

After a sunny but coldish day yesterday I woke up this morning to .......rain. :hit Hope it doesn't last all day. I have so much outdoor spring cleaning to do that it isn't even funny.

Cap your plants look marvelous. I'll have to get a picture of mine today. I don't use a grow lamp. DH built a shelf for me to use in one of our big southern exposure windows and I winter over plants there. Things do really well....when the sun is out.:rantIf I'm figuring right today is the day you get results from your biopsies.

upload_2018-3-22_8-56-37.jpeg

SGC glad the storm missed you. You've had your fair share of snow this winter, in fact, more than your fair share.

My month old SWD chicks are so cute. The three boys are starting to chest bump one another.This morning I saw one of them go around and give the other two boys pecks on the head.....just because.

The week olds are thriving. They have their wing feathers in now and I need to move them to a bigger brooder and get the olders out of their brooder but the weather isn't cooperating. Option is to bring in my grow out pen and put them in it.

Busy busy busy. I have a 3 year old speckled Sussex hen that I'm keeping an eye on. She has had crop problems probably Marek's related most of her life and from what I can feel her crop is hardly emptying at all. I've poured about a half a cup of olive oil down her along with Miconizole and massaged until my hand gets tired and no luck. Big old wad of undigested crap in her crop that I can't get to break up and move out. Any ideas? I can get ducolax stool softeners to poke down her but I'm wondering if it will do any good. She needs to be opened up and the impaction worked out but no vet around here even though the local guy works on ostriches and emus and removes impactions from their crop he won't touch a chicken. He even admits it's an easy procedure but no go when I have asked him to work on Speckles. So in spite of my best efforts looks like a very sweet hen is on the decline.

I really really hate Marek's disease.

Big old wad of undigested crap in her crop that I can't get to break up and move out. Any ideas?
I had one once, a EE pullet. Size of a baseball. Read on chickenchick what to do. Fed her some olive oil to help lubricate it. Held her upside down and massaged it and squeezed till some poked out the beak, pulled it out, let them up for air, over and over, making sure they get some air in between. One big wad I couldn't get out and I think I killed her, she did the death shake and little blood came out of the corner of her eye, went completely limp, ripped the wad out and squeezed her chest a bunch of times and she came back to life!! It was all hay.
Kept her segregated for awhile only feeding her Greek yogurt and olive oil, grit, so any left would work its way out.
She lived.
Mentioned the story a few yrs ago to someone else with a bird like that, and said chickenchick doesn't know it but her advice on her website saved my pullets life, she commented 'I do now!'
Lol, must be she gets on BYC.

I'm almost over my 3rd round of pluirsy last wed. I coughed so hard I cracked a rib on my left side. I called dh at work told him to get me a couple ace bandage and some Robitussin. I've been on antibiotics for 9 days. Yesterday I was finally strong enough to cook supper.

Cap I pray you get a good report.

My seedlings we're doing great I had them outside in my little greenhouse till we got a frost last week. We had to bring them in. Now half of my tomatoes are laying over. Temps will start going back up tomorrow do they can be brought back outside. Hopefully they will straighten back up.

Thanks @Beer can I may work up my courage and try it. She is eating, just not digesting anything and getting thinner and thinner. I can get the wad mushy but not break it up. No grass or hay given to them but she used to be my Miss Piggy hen, constantly gobbling down anything she could find. I used to blame her appetite for her stretched out lazy crop but I read where Marek's can do that.

Maybe I could try giving her 3ccs of olive oil for three days, massaging and see what happens. If I can get it to break up I could try vomiting her. I did that to her once early on when she first had crop problems and it seemed to help her.

They have a run mostly dirt that they scratch around in for grit and I'm constantly tossing cans full of small gravel in for them. She is the only one with this problem.

Back
Top Bottom