I think that's how most of the foundations on the houses around here were done, tbh.
I assume this will be used:
1714076254476.png

But you can also light a really hot fire and dowse the heated rock with cold water to brittle it. That's how the ol' Egyptians created the foundation for the pyramids - scientists claim.

So with the weather looking promising for the weekend, i will figure out if it makes sense to pursue my latest business idea of selling nursery plants:
full

Basically the three rows in the back are ready to sell and if they sell for the price i am asking ($2 for pot, $4 for a 2x6 tray) it will pay for this year's cat-food. I have several kinds of tomato plants and some squashes and cucumbers. Do you think $2 for a 4-5" tomato is a fair price? - The usual stores sell them for 5-6$ but those are 7-8" tall…
Sounds fair to me.

I heart that Muscovie eggs need 35 days and Mules are somewhere in between. - That all makes sense, if you have ever seen how tiny call-duck ducklings are after they hatched. Goose eggs also need between 32 to 36 days and goslings are huge and heavy in comparison with duckies.

That reminds me: @Jenbirdee - How is Trudy Goose doing?
Yes, my Mules took 32 days to hatch.

That reminds me: @Jenbirdee - How is Trudy Goose doing?
Broody-Trudy is just finished her 17th day!
she comes out twice a day to run around-flap wings-fly a bit- take a quick drink- speedy snack- fast preen, and run back in!
her legs and feet are not as orange as they used to be, her lobes which used to be huge are very small now, but she acts fine. I wanted to catch her and weigh her, but I think she’ll be so angry and upset about it that It might not be worth trying.

Broody-Trudy is just finished her 17th day!
she comes out twice a day to run around-flap wings-fly a bit- take a quick drink- speedy snack- fast preen, and run back in!
her legs and feet are not as orange as they used to be, her lobes which used to be huge are very small now, but she acts fine. I wanted to catch her and weigh her, but I think she’ll be so angry and upset about it that It might not be worth trying.
Disclaimer: I have no experience with Geese!

I don't know if geese like cabbage. If they do, get a cabbage head and shred a piece of it into Trudy bill-sized pieces and offer that to her. Cabbage contains a ton of nutrients and anthocyanin which is responsible for the birds orange bills, feet and legs. In fact it is the anthocyanin which colors the egg yolks so deep yellow-orange.
I know that grown up geese are strict vegetarians, so i don't know how to get some protein into Trudy, maybe some canned peas? Do geese like peas? - I hate peas but i am not a goose… 😉

Finally: Can you make a Video of Trudy running around? - I have seen plenty of broody ducks, but never a broody goose! Thank you very much in advance!

Where did you got your wisdom from? - And it might be difficult to obtain other varieties here, i was lucky to have found that one. But i keep searching…
The scarcity of this berry-shrub may also present a business opportunity as it is for the currants and the gooseberries… 😉
Just a quick google round. We don't have any Tundra at our place but we do have some other Japanese-Russian genetics plants and, well, while not bad, Boreals are better.

Here are 3 US-based (I think) sellers for the Boreals:
https://www.jungseed.com/product/J30434/652
https://nativefoodsnursery.com/honeyberry/
https://hartmannsplantcompany.com/wholesale/product/boreal-beauty/

Your business idea is legit technically (biologically) as I'm told haskap propagates super easily from young growth. Haven't tried it yet myself but what I've read has been consistent on this.

Haskap is great but it has developed into a bit of a fad like some other fruit in the past, for example aronia, in that suddenly everybody would be oooh great new fruit, let's make huge plantings and we'll all be rich in X years... and in the end it's like with the gold prospectors where the equipment sellers make the money.

For home / neighborhood use the marketing cycle doesn't matter except the part when everybody starts dumping leftover plants so we get good value :)

Over here we're apparently already at the tail end of the hype cycle so nurseries sometimes try and get rid of plants they could not sell for a while, so it's possible to get for example good specimens in 2-liter containers for cca 4 EUR or so. It should eventually be like that for you as well I'm sure.

Last edited:
Our two little ducklings that hatched yesterday are thankfully still with us today. Peeping very softly. Will start receiving water and crumble today - they were not particularly interesed yesterday.

I'm a little worried about the smaller one - is it correctly developed or not; because as it hatched, another little blob of "something" came out of the egg with it. so I was thinking that possibly the egg was a double-yolker and there was a failed sibling? ... The eggs I selected were all of regular size and shape though.

Attachments

• photo_2024-04-26_08-32-09.jpg
    photo_2024-04-26_08-32-09.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom