The tiny serama; a Hatching adventure

No, leg scale mites, unless they are horrendous, don't normally effect health. Leg scale mites are a huge problem for my birds, even the wild birds have them here. None of my birds have ever showed signs of illness due to having these mites, I have used oils and even Ivermectin Pour On to treat the birds, the Ivermectin doesn't seem to bother the birds either. Maybe your gal is just having an off day, it happens with every bird occasionally.

I'm glad to hear that. I *think* it might have been an off day? I'm very paranoid about her, if this was a symptom on one of the Tsouloufati hens, then I'd probably not worry at all, but she's just very tiny, and I worry easily. When I first came down to the coops she was good, after we rounded up all the cockerels to be sent away for butchering (long story, for another thread perhaps) she was fine, when she ranged after months of being in her pen she was fine (at this point her tail was not as upright), only for a few seconds when I picked her up and placed her on top of the pen did she really seem off, had kind of a blank stare and slightly more droopy wings, and then when I placed her back into her pen she just shook it off and seemed fine other than the slightly lower tail set. Could she have been exhausted from the ranging? Like I said, she had not ranged in about two months, and she flew quite a bit today

I'm glad to hear that. I *think* it might have been an off day? I'm very paranoid about her, if this was a symptom on one of the Tsouloufati hens, then I'd probably not worry at all, but she's just very tiny, and I worry easily. When I first came down to the coops she was good, after we rounded up all the cockerels to be sent away for butchering (long story, for another thread perhaps) she was fine, when she ranged after months of being in her pen she was fine (at this point her tail was not as upright), only for a few seconds when I picked her up and placed her on top of the pen did she really seem off, had kind of a blank stare and slightly more droopy wings, and then when I placed her back into her pen she just shook it off and seemed fine other than the slightly lower tail set. Could she have been exhausted from the ranging? Like I said, she had not ranged in about two months, and she flew quite a bit today
It's possible she just got stressed a bit when picking her up. If she was free ranging all day, maybe she was a bit dehydrated, possibly tired having not been out much in 2 months. As long as she has bounced back, then it's probably nothing.

Ok, @pipdzipdnreadytogo here comes your favourite boy! Lady Gaga

Negatives: he has some, but they're not many. One of his comb tips could be smaller, or all the others could be larger, legs just a tad too small, wings could be more horizontal, neck could be more S shaped

Positives: round chest, head position and head very nice, lively eyes, the correct curl at the wing tips, primaries not being completely covered by the secondaries, excellent fanning of the tail, very clear inverted V, his sickle feathers are long and exceeding the head, short back, head, neck and back creating the V that males should have, full feathering, no hard transitions, very vigorous, fertile, and excellent temperament
20240310_125529.jpg
20240310_125404.jpg

It's possible she just got stressed a bit when picking her up. If she was free ranging all day, maybe she was a bit dehydrated, possibly tired having not been out much in 2 months. As long as she has bounced back, then it's probably nothing.

She definitely bounced back, she pecked on some food, bounced on her perches, and definitely seemed more lively (her tail was still not in the normal position). Those few seconds just scared me. I will keep an eye on her, I REALLY don't want her gone

She definitely bounced back, she pecked on some food, bounced on her perches, and definitely seemed more lively (her tail was still not in the normal position). Those few seconds just scared me. I will keep an eye on her, I REALLY don't want her gone
I had a hen that on and off drooped her tail every day of her life. She was slow and looked tired all the time. Well, she lived to be 12+ years old, out living all her siblings that never drooped tails and were hyper as all get out. Oddly enough she was my best broody, and a very caring mother hen. So the way they stand or posture may not mean anything. :D

You don't know how reassuring this is. You're very good at reassuring people, thank you so much :hugs .

She sounds like an amazing bird. It's always the unsuspecting ones that are the most impactful
I had a hen that on and off drooped her tail every day of her life. She was slow and looked tired all the time. Well, she lived to be 12+ years old, out living all her siblings that never drooped tails and were hyper as all get out. Oddly enough she was my best broody, and a very caring mother hen. So the way they stand or posture may not mean anything. :D

You don't know how reassuring this is. You're very good at reassuring people, thank you so much :hugs .

She sounds like an amazing bird. It's always the unsuspecting ones that are the most impactful
:hugs It's hard to know who in your flock is going to leave the biggest impression on you and sometimes it takes for them to be gone for you to realize this, at least this is how it is for me. It's easy to look back with such fondness for many of them.

Ok, @pipdzipdnreadytogo here comes your favourite boy! Lady Gaga

Negatives: he has some, but they're not many. One of his comb tips could be smaller, or all the others could be larger, legs just a tad too small, wings could be more horizontal, neck could be more S shaped

Positives: round chest, head position and head very nice, lively eyes, the correct curl at the wing tips, primaries not being completely covered by the secondaries, excellent fanning of the tail, very clear inverted V, his sickle feathers are long and exceeding the head, short back, head, neck and back creating the V that males should have, full feathering, no hard transitions, very vigorous, fertile, and excellent temperamentView attachment 3768724View attachment 3768725

:love :love :love

One of my Cochin pullets did this to me this morning, just standing around and staring while everyone else was eating their breakfast. Definitely got that same feeling of, 'oh no, something's not right'. I picked her up and checked her over, and nothing was visibly wrong. Then I set her back down, and she immediately was back to normal and went over to the dish to eat, like a switch flipped back on in her brain. :th Hopefully both our girls were just having an off day and nothing more :fl

:hugs It's hard to know who in your flock is going to leave the biggest impression on you and sometimes it takes for them to be gone for you to realize this, at least this is how it is for me. It's easy to look back with such fondness for many of them.

This is so true. I've been known to shed a few tears reminiscing of past birds. I already know I'll miss Cruella like heck when she's gone, I've never had another bird quite like her

Back
Top Bottom