~*Third Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatch-Athon*~ all poultry welcome!

Looked at another recipe for snow pudding! NOw that the snow is gone, time for a lushious summer dish of lemony-whipped-egg whites covered by an eggy custard sauce.

Waiting for poults is kiling me . . .

Thank you. I'm scared for my turkey eggs now. I'm going to be extremely upset if they don't hatch.
hit.gif

So, this is my first turkey hatch. I noticed when I went to move then to lockdown, the air cells had gown larger than should be, but most were moving well, no internal pips yet, but I could see they were trying. This morning, several were moving in the shell (eggs were rocking), but the humidity is high in there right now at 74. I just checked visually and they haven't moved. I candled 2 and no movement. I think they are to hatch the 5th. Did I kill them or are they just ruing for later? Should I work on getting the humidity down? I've been trying, took out the water and then put in a bowl of rice. Still too high. Help?

While we're in the anxiety of waiting . . .

Here is what I had for breakfast--

olive oil in a small fry pan, with 1 snipped scallion, 1 oz chream chees cut into bits, 5 eggs from chickens and turkeys, and slowly carefully scramble leaving a few unbroken yolks. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt.

Eating this good food with out an over dose of breads and cakes allows me to heavily dose all my food with salt liberally. Yum.. TOmorrow I will have this again but with butter, or tonight.

How do you eat your eggs???
I have to scramble mine. I love them over easy, but since I had my gall bladder out, I can't eat them. My boys both LOVE scrambled eggs. I cannot wait until my girls start laying so that we'll have eggs every day.

olive oil in a small fry pan, with 1 snipped scallion, 1 oz chream chees cut into bits, 5 eggs from chickens and turkeys, and slowly carefully scramble leaving a few unbroken yolks. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt. 

Eating this good food with out an over dose of breads and cakes allows me to heavily dose all my food with salt liberally. Yum.. TOmorrow I will have this again but with butter, or tonight. 

You put cream cheese in while you are cooking them? I'm actually not a fan of eggs. I like them in what we call shipwreck. Brown hashbrowns, scramble eggs, put in a few chunks of your favorite meat, and mix all together. When done, turn off and put cheese curds (or chunks of your favorite cheese) on top and cover with a lid to melt. Like an inlets ish.

Quote:
You are on a roll today!
frow.gif

Humidity has a wide range of error. The numbers are 25% to 55% for incubation. Regardless of your experience, it is dangerous to tell people that it is good to hatch at less than 25% humidity.

I hope everyone has a great Hatch!

lol.. and the text book 25 to 55% humidity would give me DEAD chicks!.. So as I said before.. And I will stick to

People need to monitor THEIR eggs in THEIR incubator and see what those particular eggs need for that particular hatch
Not every hatch will be the same.. it's a very individual thing.. and if the text book 25 to 55% worked every time there wouldn't be so many drowned, sticky, bloated chicks!

Having worked for commercial hatcheries I can state with absolute knowledge that those figures quoted is for the commercial industry where incubators and hatchers are in climate controlled buildings.. since not all of us have commercial facilities and climate controlled buildings.. we must do as the eggs command!...

For me and many others it's going dry regardless of what the textbook humidity calls for!.. so if it works.. don't knock it!
If YOU (meaning whoever uses the 25 to 55%) have great success at 25 to 55% then that's great cause it works for you.. however it does not work for me and for many others.. like I said.. it's an individual thing!

Funny that you mention dry hatching too Yinepu.. I have accidently left eggs in the hatcher too long and boy do the eggs hatch!! Started me thinking there is MORE than one way to get chicks to hatch.

Right now I have turkey eggs in the hatcher with water in the wells, and I have a slew in the incubator with NO water. Left these because they were not externally pipped and I see air cells that should be bigger. Hard to view during daylight hours, but perhaps these are quitters, not sure. WIll candle again tonight when darkness has set in.

lol.. yeah.. funny how that worked out.. huh...

Quote:
could be several reasons why they failed to hatch.. bacterial infection can cause death in the last few days.. so can carbon dioxide poisoning.. or even lethal genes... diet of the parent stock lacking in vital nutrients... temp fluctuations.. the list goes on...

ooh.. so many ways it's hard to list them all... but that sounds good!
droolin.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom