Walking with Chickens; Watching them grow

hmmm not bad. I like Maya(n).I know the romans had chickens (for cockfighting at least) so maybe Roma? haha! or maybe Aphrodite....
lau.gif

Last edited:
I have enjoyed building the coop with my dad! Sam&Domino, have you moved your chicks out to the coop yet? I don't know when to move mine out....

I have enjoyed building the coop with my dad! Sam&Domino, have you moved your chicks out to the coop yet? I don't know when to move mine out....

My chicks are still living indoors, as not all their true feathers are in yet. I was told 8+ weeks for them to move out, and I am only on week 5 now, so...... susch a mess indoors haha

So much flapping, bedding scatter and poop hard to keep up with!

I might move them out next week, when they turn 5 weeks. I have electricity in the coop (my grandpa is an electrician) so i will be putting a heat lamp in there. I won't let them out of the coop until 8 weeks though...

My chicks went to the coop anywhere between 2-6 weeks. No electric & no light. It all depends on how well feathered they are (need at least wing & chest feathers), how many you have (I put mine out in groups of 6-8 when possible), how weatherproof your coop is (mine is not fabulously so due to it being made entirely of scrap wood), and how warm it stays. I closed my coop door at night even tho my run is predator proof for the 1st 2 weeks or so until I knew nighttime temps were staying above about 50F. Temps have dropped as low as high 20's since they went out & all have been fine. They just go in the coop & huddle together for warmth if they get too cold.

My chicks went to the coop anywhere between 2-6 weeks. No electric & no light. It all depends on how well feathered they are (need at least wing & chest feathers), how many you have (I put mine out in groups of 6-8 when possible), how weatherproof your coop is (mine is not fabulously so due to it being made entirely of scrap wood), and how warm it stays. I closed my coop door at night even tho my run is predator proof for the 1st 2 weeks or so until I knew nighttime temps were staying above about 50F. Temps have dropped as low as high 20's since they went out & all have been fine. They just go in the coop & huddle together for warmth if they get too cold.
where do you live? I am in northern Iowa, and the average lows for this time of year is 30-40'. the highs are upper 60's and lower 70's. I'm assuming that is too cold?
hu.gif
the current temp in the brooder is 70-75*.

I'm in Ohio. Temps have dropped to the 20's since my 1st bunch of babies went to the coop over a month ago. We are averaging high 50's to low 60's at night here now & 70's -80's during the day. No electric out there, so no light. I just lowered my brooder temp over night until it was room temp (65-70, keep my house kinda cool due to my asthma) and dropped the daytime light completely. My 2nd bunch of 2-3 week olds didn't even get this courtesy. I took them straight from TSC to the coop. We had a couple days where temps were in the 70's & around 50 overnight at that time. As long as they were feathered wings & chest & I closed the coop door at night until it was staying above 50 I didn't worry too much about them. There were enuf of them & enuf bedding in the coop for them to snuggle down & stay warm. They have all been fine.

Back
Top Bottom