Best dewormer to put in water?

rewild

Chirping
Mar 20, 2021
I know there’s a lot of deworming threads but I read through a bunch and couldn’t find anything about putting dewormer in water. Can you put safeguard for goats in water? Or is there another dewormer that works that you can put in their water source? My flock is small but I have some birds who are practically impossible to catch and deworm by hand, so I’d prefer to do it in their water and spare us both the trauma. Thank you in advance.

I use Zyfend A dewormer. Just put 5-6 drops per gallon. Do you know what types of worms they are? Different worms need different dewormers. As far as I can tell Zyfend doesn’t kill the worms, just flushes them and the eggs out, so you have to be very careful to clean them up.

I use Zyfend A dewormer. Just put 5-6 drops per gallon. Do you know what types of worms they are? Different worms need different dewormers. As far as I can tell Zyfend doesn’t kill the worms, just flushes them and the eggs out, so you have to be very careful to clean them up.
I was looking at Zyfend A I just wasn’t sure if it would work. I don’t know what type of worms they are, it’s more of a preventative because we just lost a chicken to unknown causes (possibly worms).

well I never heard of putting it in water. that sounds like it would be a waste or possibly overdose them.

I use ivermectin paste horse dewormer and give only a pea sized piece to each chicken 1 time. and have never had to treat them 2 times.

this is what i use

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-ivermectin-paste-187-608-g
When my sister used to manage the flock she used to use some dewormer that she put in the water but she tells me she can’t remember the name of it now. I was trying to medicate them with safeguard paste but I couldn’t catch them all to treat them.

I was looking at Zyfend A I just wasn’t sure if it would work. I don’t know what type of worms they are, it’s more of a preventative because we just lost a chicken to unknown causes (possibly worms).

don't deworm unless you see worms in their poop. take pictures of the worms and post here. there are tons of people here that can identify them and from here post any symptoms your chickens have.

When my sister used to manage the flock she used to use some dewormer that she put in the water but she tells me she can’t remember the name of it now. I was trying to medicate them with safeguard paste but I couldn’t catch them all to treat them.
best way to catch them is at night when in the coop they wont run from you when they are roosting etc.

don't deworm unless you see worms in their poop. take pictures of the worms and post here. there are tons of people here that can identify them and from here post any symptoms your chickens have.
Oh, so you shouldn’t deworm twice a year? (We haven’t been but I just started managing the flock as my sisters at college) I thought you had to deworm preventatively. Their poops don’t appear to have worms in them. Should I get a fecal test done at the vet?

Back
Top Bottom