Handling older chicks?

Dahlisgrams

Songster
10 Years
Jun 16, 2012
The Big Apple
Please excuse the question if it has been addressed before, but I searched and did not find the answer. I'm a complete newbie and just got my first chicks yesterday. They are approximately 4-6 week old. Six are Ameraucanas (Not Easter Eggers) (2 LF and 4 bantams, 3 of which are from John Blehm's hatchery) and a silver bantam Polish that we're really hoping is a pullet. They made a soggy mess of the bedding in their very temporary home in our dining room which happens to be a big cat playpen and while cleaning it out they had a freak out and flew the coop. I was moving very slowly but it did not seem to make much difference to them as one got scared and the others followed.

Granted, the set-up is very much less than ideal but their coop and run are in the works and I cannot make it happen any faster than it already is. So I have to just do the best I can. Unfortunately, it meant that they had to be caught. The cats were safely put away for the afternoon but I cannot have the chicks running loose in the house.
barnie.gif
I caught them as gently and quietly as possible without "chasing" so as not to scare them further but they were understandably very upset.
sad.png
And I feel terrible about the whole thing.

My question is how to "handle" them. Should I hold off on trying to pick them up and simply work on them accepting my hand and presence with mealworm treats? Would we be better off continuing to pick them up even though it really seems to frighten them? They are generally okay and calm down once I have them, but they would prefer to be with their buddies. In an ideal world, I would like "friendly" chickens but also understand that they are not dogs or cats and may never be truly friendly in that same sense and that is perfectly okay too. If I end up with as bad a case of chicken math as I think I will, there will scarcely be enough time in the day to spend loads of time with each one anyway.

We have always enjoyed watching birds (both pets and wild) and my main concern is to be able to handle them as grown hens if any need medical attention etc. I've wanted chickens for a long time and we're hoping for some fresh eggs on our small homestead.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or tips you might have. I really want to do right by these chicks and take that responsibility very seriously.

You did right trying to not scare them excessively. You are also correct that they may not be as friendly as a dog or cat. Try to spend time sitting near them and talking to them, giving them treats from your hand helps. Handling them should make them less afraid.Some will definitely more friendly than others and it varies by breed and individual birds. Being a little older they may not be as friendly as ones you raise from day olds as they won't think of you as mom.

That's what I've done mostly, just sat on the floor by their "house" and talked quietly to them. They seemed interested in my hand when I held out a broken cheerio but I'll bet if it were a known favorite like a mealyworm it would be even more enticing. I'll get some of those tomorrow. Maybe it would help if I could just get them to associate my hand with a yummy treat. It makes sense that they won't think of me as mom due to their age. I had not thought of it that way. I just want them to trust me. I would be thrilled to have earned that. Thanks for pointing it out and for the reassurance. I really appreciate it!

Getting into chicken heads is so different than some other animals! I have to keep reminding myself that they are prey animals. Patience and consistency seem to be key here. And so is moving slowwwlyy. I have so much to learn!

It will be easier when you can get them in to a larger area. Smaller areas tend to make chicks more frightened and flighty. I bring a purple water bucket into the pen and sit on it and wait. It works like a magnet, before long they are coming up to see what it is and I can slowly reach down and pet their breast. I offer treats and when the others see the brave one getting goodies - they all start coming closer With in a few days I can pick them up and set them on my lap and pet them - I always let them down if, they want and next day they will stay longer.

I find it best not to pick them up unless they are okay with it. I sit on the ground and feed them from my hands slowly moving my hand closer and closer to my body. Eventually they are up in my lap eating from my hand. The first day they got in my lap for the food but once it was gone so were they. Second day one of them decided my leg was a great place to lay down when the food was gone. I didn't try to pet her, I want her to feel relaxed in my lap and will work up to having her let me pet her.

It will be easier when you can get them in to a larger area. Smaller areas tend to make chicks more frightened and flighty. I bring a purple water bucket into the pen and sit on it and wait. It works like a magnet, before long they are coming up to see what it is and I can slowly reach down and pet their breast. I offer treats and when the others see the brave one getting goodies - they all start coming closer With in a few days I can pick them up and set them on my lap and pet them - I always let them down if, they want and next day they will stay longer.
Thanks! This sounds like a good idea which I will try just as soon as the dog run that we're customizing is finished and they're in their new small coop. This morning they huddled together in the corner while I refilled their feeder and changed the water but I did not approach them. Once everything was put back, they settled down, came out and started to eat/drink normally. I will get them a small ready made coop to live in outside within the covered run until the full sized Shiloh coop has been completed. Their well-being is important to me so getting that ordered is number one on the list for today. No one locally has anything in stock.

I find it best not to pick them up unless they are okay with it. I sit on the ground and feed them from my hands slowly moving my hand closer and closer to my body. Eventually they are up in my lap eating from my hand. The first day they got in my lap for the food but once it was gone so were they. Second day one of them decided my leg was a great place to lay down when the food was gone. I didn't try to pet her, I want her to feel relaxed in my lap and will work up to having her let me pet her.
Thanks for the tip. This makes great sense! I can't wait to try it. Hopefully the small coop arrives on Tuesday and isn't held up. I feel so bad that they're fearful. Just call me predator-mom.
roll.png

Once they're not in such a small enclosure they'll be fine, I'm sure. All of their needs are being met with fresh clean food, water and bedding so they'll survive my inexperience for a few more days. They've such sweet little faces. I just want them to be happy!

Okay. The coop has been ordered, though it will be two weeks or so until arrival. I went with the Bungalow from mypetchicken.com and they were extremely helpful. Very nice customer service department.

Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to accommodate them in the meantime. Should I place their cage outdoors inside the covered run during the day at the very least or would they be better off remaining indoors with their current cage in a larger floor pen constructed of chicken wire and wood over plywood to keep them off the wood floor, but allow more freedom?

We're almost there. I'm very grateful for the advice received. Thanks again to everyone.

If you really want them tame, take away their food for an hour or so then feed them by hand..di it constantly and every chance you have until they run to you and attack the food in your hand and will jump into it. Next step is to start scooping them up, while feeding take your free hand, palm up and just scoop under them...don't lift, just let them climb on or jump off. When that is no longer a big deal to them you can just start scooping them up. Holding your other hand over the wings, talk to them, I say tsk tsk tsk - so when they are older they know it's me. At this stage, growing feathers in their little heads can be itchy, I gently rub them and, make it a nice thing for them. Then gently set them down. The more you handle them the more trust you will get, some never really tame down, but can at least be handled.

I have a bunch of 5-6 week olds that I got at 2 weeks of age. They were scared for a bit....I would talk to them and visit their brooder often and put my hand in with treats. It didn't take long for the oldest to realize "the hand" was a good thing, and it would run over and peck my fingers :) Soon, they all were! After a week, I would gently pick them up to put them outside, for playtime, and then pick them up and bring them back to the brooder. When I wanted them to come, or I had a treat to offer, I would call them "chi, chi, chi."

It seemed very sudden, they all gentled down....I moved them to the coop and now when they are being picked on, they run to me and hide around my legs. If I call "chi, chi, chi" they come running! If I put my hand down, they come and stand in front and wait for me to pick them up :) If I sit on the coop steps, they perch on my lap, or one likes to get on my shoulder
tongue.png

They also like a little breast rub, they bump each other out of the way! It's a very nice feeling
love.gif

I never intended for this to happen, I just wanted to be able to examine them when needed...

Back
Top Bottom