Help! Duck is breathing heavily?

DuckMochi

Songster
6 Years
Jun 16, 2017
Tempe, AZ
hello there I have a pet mallard duck (female) who has started breathing very heavily. I noticed it earlier today and maybe thought it was just from her being active but I have her in the house right now with my other duck (I give them nightly baths) and she's still breathing heavily? Even just floating in the tub her breathing seems too heavy. I'm watcher her body moves as she breathes and it's definitely not normal. She's eating and drinking fine and doesn't act any different from what I have seen. Other than the breathing there's nothing wrong with her. Should I be worried? Is this something that I'll actually need to take her to a vet for? Any information is grately appreciated!

Update: I just discovered that there's something clogging her left nostril to the brim. Doesn't look like she's able to get any air through there and if she can it's minimal. I just watched her blow her nose under the water but it's not coming out. Is there something I can do to help her or do I leave it? I'm not 100% sure this is what's causing the heavy breathing but it may be

hello there I have a pet mallard duck (female) who has started breathing very heavily. I noticed it earlier today and maybe thought it was just from her being active but I have her in the house right now with my other duck (I give them nightly baths) and she's still breathing heavily? Even just floating in the tub her breathing seems too heavy. I'm watcher her body moves as she breathes and it's definitely not normal. She's eating and drinking fine and doesn't act any different from what I have seen. Other than the breathing there's nothing wrong with her. Should I be worried? Is this something that I'll actually need to take her to a vet for? Any information is grately appreciated!
Has she started laying eggs ? Friend @Ravynscroft was telling me the other day that girls that are starting to lay will sometimes breath a bit heavy.

Update: I just discovered that there's something clogging her left nostril to the brim. Doesn't look like she's able to get any air through there and if she can it's minimal. I just watched her blow her nose under the water but it's not coming out. Is there something I can do to help her or do I leave it? I'm not 100% sure this is what's causing the heavy breathing but it may be
Hum. I bet that's it then. Nostrils should be clear to where you can pretty much see daylight through them when looking from the side view. Keep letting her try to clear them in the water I bet she will blow it out.

I'm putting her in the bathtub now and filling it up deep enough to where she can shove her whole head under. She's not a very large duck so most of the time she can put her head under regardless if it's full or not. She doesn't seem to be very good at blowing things out of her nose but I'll do my best to try and get her to do it

I'm putting her in the bathtub now and filling it up deep enough to where she can shove her whole head under. She's not a very large duck so most of the time she can put her head under regardless if it's full or not. She doesn't seem to be very good at blowing things out of her nose but I'll do my best to try and get her to do it
Wonder if you could put some kind of treat at the bottom of the water for her to fish for. Something to prompt her to keep sticking her head under?

No luck you guys. It's pretty far up there. I did all I could but I think I scared the poor thing enough tonight so I put her back outside with her sister. I'll check on her in the morning. Thank you all for the fast replies though

Back
Top Bottom