2024 New Year's Resolution?

Do you have a resolution>

• Total voters
I'm still having oatmeal for breakfast 5 days a week.
I'm glad I like oatmeal. I read that it can take 3-6 months for your body to "clear out" cholesterol from your blood, so that your test numbers are better. I have about 5 months until my next physical/blood test.

I googled "foods to reduce cholesterol," and oatmeal was mentioned in everything I read, in the top 5 or 3 or 8 or whatever. Then I read this:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5885279/

I've been mixing it up with steel cut oats! Wild life I lead, huh?

Mine is very slightly high BUT!!!! My dad was reading this morning and you’re supposed to fast for lipid panels and a few other tests which they never told me even when I specifically asked so it could be skewed 🙄 so I will get it redone in a few months when I do the A1C again and FAST for this one and hopefully it will be normal.

My dad was reading this morning and you’re supposed to fast for lipid panels and a few other tests which they never told me even when I specifically asked
Are you serious??? I get told/asked 5 ways from Sunday that I have to fast for the blood work. When they make the appointment (a year in advance, haha), when I arrive, when I have my physical, when I go into the lab for the blood draw.

Ok, so that's only 4. Still.

Are you serious??? I get told/asked 5 ways from Sunday that I have to fast for the blood work. When they make the appointment (a year in advance, haha), when I arrive, when I have my physical, when I go into the lab for the blood draw.

Yes I’m serious. When I went in, they asked if I had and I was like no, why? Was I supposed to? And they’re like oh no it’s okay. Like WHAT!? And I just saw the doctor and he never mentioned it either.

I will say I did think it was odd they never mentioned it but I never questioned it and figured it was fine :confused:

I will say I did think it was odd they never mentioned it but I never questioned it and figured it was fine
How would you know if they don't tell you? Until you've had bloodwork done, it's all unfamiliar territory. Just like any other new thing. Geesh.

I'm surprised that the person who said it's fine didn't know better!

How would you know if they don't tell you? Until you've had bloodwork done, it's all unfamiliar territory. Just like any other new thing. Geesh.

I'm surprised that the person who said it's fine didn't know better!
Well I’ve had it done a lot and they used to tell me if I needed to fast or not but for a while now they have said nothing or said no I don’t need to if I ask. I even asked the doctor once and he said I didn’t need to. It was for something else though but still. It’s very weird.

Yes I’m serious. When I went in, they asked if I had and I was like no, why? Was I supposed to? And they’re like oh no it’s okay. Like WHAT!? And I just saw the doctor and he never mentioned it either.
12 hours of fasting is required for the blood work draw unless you are diabetic. If you are a diabetic the fasting is not required. I do fast before getting my blood drawn anyway.

12 hours of fasting is required for the blood work draw unless you are diabetic. If you are a diabetic the fasting is not required. I do fast before getting my blood drawn anyway.
I'm diabetic and am still expected to fast. Maybe it's not necessary for the A1c, but I'm pretty sure it is to get an accurate read on cholesterol, in which mine is high, and maybe for iron, potassium, thyroid and a few other things I have to keep an eye on. I accidentally didn't fast before my last check-up and he told me to come in another day, fasting, and get labs drawn.

Back
Top Bottom