Combined flock not sleeping where they should

mmurray7

Hatching
Jul 11, 2022
Eaton, CO
I have three 2 yo hens and four young hens about 6 months old. I built a new coop for them and the older gals won’t sleep on the roosts, they just sleep on the floor of the coop. Their previous coop had the roosts only a few inches off the coop floor and now it’s about a foot off the ground. I put a little step in to help them get up in case that’s the issue and on occasion one of them will sleep on the step but not the roost. The 4 new gals sleep on the roof of the coop regardless of the weather. Tonight it’s raining and they’re just nestled together on the roof in the rain. I’m not sure If I need to do anything or just let them all figure it out?
I tried moving the big girls up onto the roosts at night but they always hop off. And its been too hot to just lock them all in the coop together so I’m not sure what, if anything I should do. Any guidance would be appreciated!!

Any photos of your coop?

Do you have measurements for your coop, i.e. sq footage, total linear roost space, ventilation numbers?

How long have the older birds and younger birds been living together? Were the younger ones in the previous coop and did they roost there?

Back
Top Bottom